Murky tank! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, my mom said we didn't need it. *sigh* it was the high price, she said she didn't want to pay for it. I think I'll be okay with the pH tester for now. I just hope it's around 7! I'm going to post a thread explaining the science about pH and I'll have diagrams drawn by me! I think my tank will hold up nicely through all the level spikes, and I just added a bunch of plants!

Why do you hope it's at 7? Fish don't need neutral water. In fact, they are very adaptable when it comes to pH. It just must remain constant in order to not stress out your fish. The thing you need to worry about here is the build up of ammonia you're going to get now. I understand the big price with the API tester... in order to get it, I had to ask for it as a christmas present. Maybe do some extra chores to get it? It's really a life saver, especially when cycling a tank.

I don't need an ammonia tester! I have this little thing, and it says my ammonias fine ^^

The pic of my ammonia thing won't send! But it makes sure that the ammonia levels are safe for my fish. It's in the yellow (safe) and says .02 ppm or less. Its all safe looking as far as the ammonia!

I don't have the strips that you put in the tank, I have a thing that stays in the water. If the ammonia level goes up, I need to get a new one. The ammonia has been at a safe level for a long time actually! ^^

Those things may not be very accurate. I had one a few years backhand it didn't show anything even while cycling. Other tests showed ammonia but I didn't. Also, fish don't need neutral water,they're very adaptable. Swings in ph due to trying to mess with it to get it neutral or anything else can be lethal though.

After a water change and if you move the gravel around, its all the the stuff in the gravel that has come up and is now swishing around the tank. All you need to do is let it settle, or do another Water change.

I'll be changing the water after school today. And when I said I hope it's around seven was because if it was above it'd be a base and if it's below, it's acidic. I will test it and tell you the pH. My tank is so foggy, I'm hoping it re-cycles soon! My fish are looking nice and three of my anacharis plants don't want to stay in the gravel and are now floating around ^^

Just persist with it after a good month or so my water is finally crystal clear! Ad there were times I thought I'd never see the bak of my rank again but after my last water change it's perfect!

alia258 said:
I'll be changing the water after school today. And when I said I hope it's around seven was because if it was above it'd be a base and if it's below, it's acidic. I will test it and tell you the pH. My tank is so foggy, I'm hoping it re-cycles soon! My fish are looking nice and three of my anacharis plants don't want to stay in the gravel and are now floating around ^^

Most fish actually like water to be a little basic or acidic. Guppies like it a bit higher than 7 usually, around 7.6-7.8, but as I said stability is more important and most fish are very adaptable. A few water changes, back to back if necessary, should clear up the water fairly quickly if it is just detritus and not a bacterial bloom. The filter should pick up most of what is left after a few water changes as long as it doesn't settle back to the bottom. Just be sure to give the filter media a rinse in some of the old tank water after it clears up, odds are it will be fairly clogged up after it picks so much up.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do what you said about the filter and washing it. I have to re-cycle my tank, so I'm not sure if it's a bloom or not

Just did a 60% water change, fish are looking alright ^^

I would think so! I have my anacharis nicely planted too ^^

Back
Top Bottom