My 14g planted and 55g Amazon Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay thank you for the response. I did not know if adding three more rainbows would make my tank overstocked or not.

you should be fine. i've seen 10 or so rainbows in a 55 gal before. this tank setup had discus as well. what was so amazing is that the rainbows' color was so stunning, almost photoshop-like. but it was actually a display tank in a fish store. so i wouldn't be worry so much of overstocking. i think you've got some wiggle room in it even if you want to push for some cardinals as well.

this is what i would do: move the amazon swords and driftwoods that you already have to the center so that they serve as the focal point of your tank. some crypts in the foreground and around the driftwood to add a natural amazon feel. and then get different species of anubias and attach them to your driftwoods and some rocks to finish it up.

a point about the driftwood: i feel like the driftwood you have is kind of small for what you want to achieve. they can be used to complement a bigger driftwood but not as the main decoration of the tank. what you have right now is stuffs on the bottom half of the tank and nothing in the upper half. what you want to do is to bridge the gap between the upper level and lower level and make them come as one. so a big piece of driftwood would definitely help out a lot. and for the amazon look, you really need some more big plants

a point about the driftwood: i feel like the driftwood you have is kind of small for what you want to achieve. they can be used to complement a bigger driftwood but not as the main decoration of the tank. what you have right now is stuffs on the bottom half of the tank and nothing in the upper half. what you want to do is to bridge the gap between the upper level and lower level and make them come as one. so a big piece of driftwood would definitely help out a lot. and for the amazon look, you really need some more big plants

What big plants would you suggest? Jungle vals? Giant anubias?

Also been wondering about which rocks for amazon theme?? Can not find this information anywhere!!

jungle vals in the background would work nicely with the theme you're trying to achieve. i know (but can't remember exactly the name) that there's a species of amazon sword that sort of "opens up" when it comes to leaf arrangement. a giant anubia is a great center piece on the big driftwood. something like this
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/07/10/ogon/bfb7c0.jpg

i would try to reach a balance where the anubia is straddled between two big amazon swords. that's what i've been thinking about in my aquarium even though i'm not going after the amazon theme

check this species out: Echinodorus osiris (this is what i had in mind) and surround this beauty with Echinodorus Quadricostatus. nevermind the anubia if you can get these two.

as for the stones, any regular would be fine. Just pay attention to the layout of the stone. if possible, try to get stones with color and glisten. i have stones in around me with stripes and some have a hint of redness.

they look good but the only objection i have against foam of any kind is that they're nursery for algae. when pursuing an Amazon theme tank, the most important factor is that it needs to be heavily planted and I'm sure there's already plenty algae to deal with

Is the foam equivalent to the "3-d" backgrounds? If so, i have been putting a lot of thought into one of those. They are super expensive....especially for a large tank. But if i had to guess, you get what you pay for?

you should be fine. i've seen 10 or so rainbows in a 55 gal before. this tank setup had discus as well. what was so amazing is that the rainbows' color was so stunning, almost photoshop-like. but it was actually a display tank in a fish store. so i wouldn't be worry so much of overstocking. i think you've got some wiggle room in it even if you want to push for some cardinals as well.

How many cards do you think?

Thank you guys for the encouraging words. I really appreciate it. I don't really have anybody to talk to about this hobby where I live.

That's what this forum is for. As long as you are in tranquility with your aquariums, you needn't be sad lol.

Hi Dustin and welcome to the happy family:) congratulations on your tanks! For someone being in this hobby for as long as you have I'm very impressed with your knowledge and how far you've gotten with your tank work. Tenure wise I'm just a month "younger fishkeeper" then you and not nearly as advanced with my work. As for your tank, I'll warn you then my oldtime hobby has been gardening so all of my opinions will be tainted by that, so I would of course plant more live plants in your tank!!! :) it is beautiful already and I think more plants will give it more lush look, the fish will love it, it's always better for your water to have more plants (especially if you don't test). Some plants are known to suck up ammonia from tank water so IMO you can't go wrong with live plants. There is a great plant forum here too if you ever need some help there. Research also shows that for us as the "tank viewers" looking at more of green (colors) positively influences our mood and helps us relax, yet another reason to plant those live plants! Again, welcome and enjoy

Warning lager fish will eat cardinals like their candy.

I can't speak for th discus but the rainbows will not touch the cardinals unless they are dying and floating around in distress. Which in that case is actually a good thing if they actually eat it. Not only will the rainbows eat a fish like that, even an oto will eat a dying fish... I have a school of celestial pearl danios with my school of rainbows and they've never once touch my smaller fishes. Even when my cpds were still juvies the size no bigger than a grain of rice.

Now your discuss I am not so sure because they are technically a form of cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom