My 20G Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can cut the cubes of bloodworms in sixths before feeding (it's what I do). One cube last me about two weeks but it's mostly for my newt even though the fish sometimes gets most of them. If you decide to go with mostly frozen food mosquito larvae make freshwater fish go insane. Still, Hikari micro pellets are hard to beat for the kinds of fish you keep.

Ive been having the same problems with my plants but the melting seems to be only since i started the using the comprehensive. And now i know why my stem plants are loosing there lower leaves ive got to spread mine apart more aswell.

Which of your plants are melting? How much Comprehensive are you dosing?

Yep, he's in, as of today. I've noticed nothing odd about him, so I thought it was time. :) All are doing well, but today, I noticed a very ragged tail on my blue fancy guppy. :blink: It couldn't have been the gourami and my eye is on the cory cats. But I have no idea. I'll be watching more closely.

I have to admit, I don't like the cory cats. They are so high energy that they kinda disrupt the "flow" of the tank.

Everyone else is doing fine. I'm still plucking out pink ramshorns. I probably have 40 of them in a jar now. They have to go. Trying to find someone local to take them. I should have listened when my friend recommended against them. I bet I still have at least 20 in the tank somewhere.

I thought maybe I was going to have baby peacock gudgeons 'cause I didn't see the male for about six days, but he's reappeared. Don't know if there are eggs are not. Maybe he ate them?

Have you considered contacting any local fish stores about taking the fancy colored rams? Due to their color they might take them all and even give you some store credit.

I think my regular LFS will take them. I'm not interested in making any money off them. They can just have them.

I'm itching to move a bunch of stuff around in my tank.

callisto9 said:
Yep, he's in, as of today. I've noticed nothing odd about him, so I thought it was time. :) All are doing well, but today, I noticed a very ragged tail on my blue fancy guppy. :blink: It couldn't have been the gourami and my eye is on the cory cats. But I have no idea. I'll be watching more closely.

I have to admit, I don't like the cory cats. They are so high energy that they kinda disrupt the "flow" of the tank.

Everyone else is doing fine. I'm still plucking out pink ramshorns. I probably have 40 of them in a jar now. They have to go. Trying to find someone local to take them. I should have listened when my friend recommended against them. I bet I still have at least 20 in the tank somewhere.

I thought maybe I was going to have baby peacock gudgeons 'cause I didn't see the male for about six days, but he's reappeared. Don't know if there are eggs are not. Maybe he ate them?

I doubt it's the cories nipping your guppy...I've never seen them nip anything ever. The more likely culprit is the other male guppy...I don't really know much about the peacock gudgeons...so I guess it could be them...but I'd put my money on the other male.

A good alternative to corys are oto cats and they mainly stay hidden. I must say, gourami are notorious fin nippers, gudeons too. Corys are hyper but pretty tame.

ktomminello said:
A good alternative to corys are oto cats and they mainly stay hidden. I must say, gourami are notorious fin nippers, gudeons too. Corys are hyper but pretty tame.

Great advice. Couldn't agree more. Love ottos.

I think my regular LFS will take them. I'm not interested in making any money off them. They can just have them.

I'm itching to move a bunch of stuff around in my tank.

As long as they take them that is all that matters. So what are you going to move around? I thought the tank was good the way have it.

The fin nipping happened before the gourami was put in. The gourami is really mellow. He's curious, moves slowly and is sooo adorable.

I don't think it's the other male guppies. They have been buds for awhile now. I think it's the peacock gudgeon. I think they are in mating mode.

The blue male guppy only has one functioning eye, too, so I bet he's stressed right now.

That makes sense, I have 3 gourami in my hospital tank that are über chill, blah blah don't keep gourami together blah blah, lol. In reality, though, keep an eye on those adorable little guys. Mine are all established adults (1 blue three spot, 1 red paradise and 1 gold paradise) and I have had incidents of aggression with each one of them separately- this is more just a warning, oh, and definitely DO NOT mix gourami and betta, to those who don't know, they are too closely related and territorial, they will fight to the death. I understand that it couldn't be your gourami, just throwing out some advice to those that may have injured or stressed fish with gourami as tankmates. MOST gourami are community friendly... Good luck, thanks for caring so much about your fish!!

I've been keeping my eye on them. It seems for everyone who says "you can't do X", there are people who are doing it successfully.

I just have the one gourami, per the advice of many things I've read on the internet. Fish keeping has been more complex than I ever thought it would be. I like it, but wow, it's hard to know what to do sometimes based on the conflicting information out there.

Thanks for your input!

callisto9 said:
I've been keeping my eye on them. It seems for everyone who says "you can't do X", there are people who are doing it successfully.

I just have the one gourami, per the advice of many things I've read on the internet. Fish keeping has been more complex than I ever thought it would be. I like it, but wow, it's hard to know what to do sometimes based on the conflicting information out there.

You make a good point. I guess it would be better to say that it's "risky" to put certain fish together in some cases than to say you "can't". Two fish of the exact same species can act completely different. I've heard of crazy communities of fish that normally wouldn't work but were peaceful as could be. Seen the opposite too. Normally friendly fish with bad attitudes. I feel that because fish can have such different personalities, keeping them is that much more wonderful.

There is a lot that comes along with being an aquarium enthusiast, as opposed to just 'a fish owner' that wouldn't know a water test master kit from an unstable test strip.... What's humorous it's that you guys understood that... If you didn't understand that feel free to pm me any questions and welcome to the hobby (obsession) :)

Well, Mr. Blue Guppy's tail is about half gone now. Whatever got him the first time, looks like it struck again. :( Poor guy. I've had him since September 7th and he's been fine up until this week. I added two cory cats last weekend and the dwarf gourami yesterday. No other fish have tore up tails.

Thoughts?

I've put him in the QT tank in a fry net with the Japan blue guppies until I figure this out. Poor little guy.

Back
Top Bottom