My 29 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once your cycle is finished you won’t be worrying about what the exact color of the nitrite test is, because it will always test that perfect baby blue. Until then, anything else just means it’s not finished. Don’t worry about the details.

Okay so my nitrite will start dropping eventually to blue and my cycle will be over?

Just lookin over the tank and saw a handful of what I think are diatoms! Some are bright green but most are brown green. There's a few on my sand but most are on the rocks. Good sign right?

Hard to see cus I took it from above the tank but are they diatoms or just algae?

Attachments

• image-1777990285.jpg
    image-1777990285.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 134
They are def diatoms. So that's good right? Also just got a Maxijet pro 400(500gph) to go with the koralia nano(425gph). My question is where should I point them? The pic is how I have them now and the arrows represent the flow. It was the best way I had to show the flow lol.

Just did a 5 gallon water change and my nitrItes are still through the roof but my nitrAtes are 0 ppm. Seemed weird to me.

No need to do water changes until the cycle is over. They can actually slow the cycle down a bit. Those trites will become trates soon enough though.

My cycle is soooo close to finishing!! My ammonia was 0 after 24 hours so just dosed some more and my trItes are .25ppm and trAtes are 40ppm! So close! I'm getting crazy excited

Okay so after 24 hours, my ammonia went from about 6ppm to 0. But my nitrites are still a little high. Shouldn't the nitrites be goin down fast now too. I'm in day 21 of the fishless cycle with pure ammonia

Nitrites disappeared over night!!!! I'm ready for a cuc right?! Also will the cuc be able to sustain my b bacteria colony?

Got 8 dwarf blue legged hermits, 2 scarlet reef hermits, 4 astrea snails, and a baby skunk cleaner shrimp. I think I need some more snails of different kinds that can flip themselves over lol. ;)

I'd recommend fish only for a while. And start with one or two and add slowly with at least a week or two between additions. Let the tank mature before you try corals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom