My 30 gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my thirty gallon setup since about December. It was a cichlid tank with a blue lobster and a small pleco. I recently sold the cichlids for twenty dollars each because they ate my lobster!! I want to start breeding again. Maybe a community tank. I'd like some schooling and mollies, guppies, or platies. I have wisteria and t5 ho lighting with moonlight LEDs. Any suggestions. Id like it to. Be colorful and again, a breeding tank. I'm sooooooo bored of rocks and a few fish. Fun but now really old. Any suggestions?

from, Adam

IMO, if you're going to go through the trouble of having the light and having it on long enough for the plants, you may as well go all out and plant it. Granted, this is going to be a personal opinion and it should only be what you want. I've just gotten in to plants in a big way recently and think they really add to the natural look and beauty of an aquarium.

mfdrookie516 said:
IMO, if you're going to go through the trouble of having the light and having it on long enough for the plants, you may as well go all out and plant it. Granted, this is going to be a personal opinion and it should only be what you want. I've just gotten in to plants in a big way recently and think they really add to the natural look and beauty of an aquarium.

Alright I will, some easy plants.. But what about breeding in the community tank?

from, Adam

Guppies breed like rabbits, and are good community fish. Cories are easy too I believe, and I'm a fan of black skirt tetras. Not the easiest fish to breed, but awesome fish with lots of personality!

GreAt. But I am not going to do angelfish. I have tried before but I only have 40$ on fish to spend. I might do cories. I really like neons and want a school of them. I do want guppies and was wondering if they crossbreed with mollies or platies. I wouldn't want that to happen.

Also, where can I find eggcrate?? I want to build a frag tank. I was told it was ~10$

from, Adam

I've decided on buying
neons(5-10)
mollies(4-5)
black skirts(3-4)
some type of moss maybe
my Small pleco
snails??
guppies(4-5)
And maybe cories for a bottom feeder

Overstocked?? I understand that most plecos will get big and that is why I will be selling it when it gets to ~10". any suggestions? Questions or comments are appreciates

from, Adam

Also, could I set up my newly built sump:) for babies? I was going to wait but just thought of it. I would put them in the refugium with filter material on the overflow. Sorry for double post

from, Adam

I just called Petco and they said that they had all of the fishes I stated in the reply 2 above. I will be getting mollies first, guppies second, loaches third, and then the tetras. Is that good?

from, Adam

I've decided on buying
neons(5-10)
mollies(4-5)
black skirts(3-4)
some type of moss maybe
my Small pleco
snails??
guppies(4-5)
And maybe cories for a bottom feeder

Overstocked?? I understand that most plecos will get big and that is why I will be selling it when it gets to ~10". any suggestions?

estions or comments are appreciates

from, Adam

Check out balloon mollies too, and german blue rams. Gourami's are cool too!

Oh yeah, I like phantom black skirt tetra's too! But maybe those are the same you're already getting

I love gbrs! I bred them for a while but I think that it is just a little bit aggressive for my tank. And I do like the balloons but isn't it hard to tell if they are pregnant?

from, Adam

I love gbrs! I bred them for a while but I think that it is just a little bit aggressive for my tank. And I do like the balloons but isn't it hard to tell if they are pregnant?

from, Adam

LOL yeah, the first balloon molly I ever got had babies the first week...

The balloon mollies crack me up! They look like they have tumors! They waddle in the water, it's hilarious!

Haha i live em too.. I finally convinced my mom into driving me there to the store this in at the most a week!! I will be posting pics soon!!( also I found a store that sells the eggcrate for 7$ for 64 inch square) haha today was a goooooood day lol

from, Adam

Day got even better. I'm getting em tonight! I have about 50$ to spend. Let's see how fast it goes;)

from, Adam

If you didn't want to do GBR, you could do bolivians, they tend to stick to themselves in a community tank, and to answer your question earlier about the guppies and mollies, no they don't interbreed.

Alright I bought my fish!!! I took into account all of your replies and this is what I came up with.
3 sunkist mollies
2 guppies 1 m 1fm
1 golden gourami
1 common pleco(5")
Wisteria
Java fern( same as moss??)
They had a few neons but they were 3$ each!! Same with black skirts!! I bought a pregnant Molly and the guppies were a hit or miss. They didn't have any cories or loaches that were affordable. I plan on going to a different lfs sometime soon. Pics are on their way hopefully.

from, Adam

Back
Top Bottom