My 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: A bit more than 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm!
:)
Does this mean when I'm done with nitrites, I'm cycled?

About your water flow issue. My boyfriend hates the waterfall effect while we're watching tv, so I kinda jury-rigged something up. It's not attractive (cant see it at eye level) but it helps, and it might give you an idea of your own. Basically you cut a piece out of a two liter soda bottle and fit it under the filter output. It makes a little slide of sorts, and very much slows down the water. I'll post some pictures when I get home, or in the morning if I forget.

rebelyeller89 said:
About your water flow issue. My boyfriend hates the waterfall effect while we're watching tv, so I kinda jury-rigged something up. It's not attractive (cant see it at eye level) but it helps, and it might give you an idea of your own. Basically you cut a piece out of a two liter soda bottle and fit it under the filter output. It makes a little slide of sorts, and very much slows down the water. I'll post some pictures when I get home, or in the morning if I forget.

Awesome.! :)

The first shot is what it looks like from below. The second is so you can see how it's fitted up in there. Basically, I slid the plastic up between the frame of the aquarium and the out put lip of the filter.

Attachments

• image-1729558301.jpg
    image-1729558301.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 186
  • image-674802669.jpg
    image-674802669.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 172
rebelyeller89 said:
The first shot is what it looks like from below. The second is so you can see how it's fitted up in there. Basically, I slid the plastic up between the frame of the aquarium and the out put lip of the filter.

I'll try this thanks!

iDream said:
Definitely dose up first and see how long it takes to process. IMO you're ready, but always be sure

How would I dose? No shrimp, no pure ammonia. Would some old FW dish food suffice?

I'll just take a reasonable estimate. I'll take a water parameter test soon.

Ammonia: hard to tell if it's 0 or .25 ppm. :/
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm or more

Well you're gonna need to put some ammonia in there soon, maybe find some sort of fine netting and put a nice chunk of flakes in that and toss it in your tank

I'll be spend my day until five, mixing some SW (finally got a powerhead for mixing!), setting up the copepod culturing tank(any tips and what not?), adding some ammonia to the tank, and then trying to lower the water flow again. Wish me luck. :b

Youre' creating a pod tank? I had some success with mine but not at all what i was hoping for.

Good luck today!

carey said:
Youre' creating a pod tank? I had some success with mine but not at all what i was hoping for.

Good luck today!

Yeah I heard it's a pain. What do you feed them? What's the tank size? Is it hard to collect them? Salinity? I want to keep mine at .019 the same as my tank, so there isn't a chance of a salinity change? I'm either going to go with green water or algae paste. I hear algae paste is easier because you don't have to add more green water every few hours. Mines going to be a ten gallon, maybe bare bottom, a piece of dry rock or two. I'm going to have brine shrimp eggs to feed the dwarf seahorses as back up just in case my culture ever crashes.

I had a 10g tank setup as well. i had a heater , live sand and live rock. I added some scrubby pads for them to hide in too. I kept my salinity at 1.025 like my other tanks. i also had a filter running with a piece of foam in it to keep the water circulating. I also added chaeto to it so they had food. I used phyto I believe.

When all was said and done I had a decent population but ALOT of the big ones, more than the smaller tiny ones by far.

I just moved the pod tank into my refugium in my 125g so at the least I got a head start there. :)

Cool thanks Carey. I'm not worried if I end up with "big" ones dwarf seahorses can eat a whole adult brine shrimp with one gulp. Lol. Can you elaborate on these, pads?

Dylan5359 said:
Cool thanks Carey. I'm not worried if I end up with "big" ones dwarf seahorses can eat a whole adult brine shrimp with one gulp. Lol. Can you elaborate on these, pads?

I used brand new algae cleaning pads as homes for the pods. You just squeeze out the water in the pad and pods come out.

That sounds like a great idea to collect them! Thanks for this Carey!

Back
Top Bottom