My 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
Nice, looks really good :) Hopefully this cycle is done soon and the seahorses can come :D :D

Thanks. The sad thing is I may have to wait until July 16th to get them even if it all cycles. I'm going on vacation the 4th for two weeks. It would be irresponsible to leave them, unless I could ask my friend to come by, teach him everything (feeding, etc), but still I don't even trust him. So I'll probably just be leaving with a CUC and some pieces of fern caulerpa (macro algae) in the tank.

If you do that be sure you leave your light on for the macro or you may come home to a white milky mess

I may just have my dad turn the light on and off when I'm away. (where can I buy a timer?)

I use a christmas tree timer, but you'll want to leave it on the whole time, I'm pretty sure caulerpa needs 24/7 lighting to prevent it from going sexual

I think they only go sexual when they have poor lighting, but a 12 hours lights on and a 12 hours lights off is fine.

But I'll do some research on this. :b

Thanks. The sad thing is I may have to wait until July 16th to get them even if it all cycles. I'm going on vacation the 4th for two weeks. It would be irresponsible to leave them, unless I could ask my friend to come by, teach him everything (feeding, etc), but still I don't even trust him. So I'll probably just be leaving with a CUC and some pieces of fern caulerpa (macro algae) in the tank.

Oh yah I'd definitely wait! I hate leaving my tanks. I have my brother to care for them but even then he's a lot lazier when it comes to the tanks and will let them suck air, get dirty, and sometimes forget to feed which sucks when my seahorses like to be fed twice a day!

I bought some 8 dollar timer off of dr F&S, the marineland one. Works perfectly fine. If you're worried about the caulerpa you could probably find a substitute to use for feeding.

So it turns out the filter floss in that filter bag didn't slow down the water flow. The water pouring from the top is causing the water movement, if I could figure out a way to block off part of where the water pours out from, the flow will definitely slow down. (so the water is coming down a small part )

*EDIT let me post a picture to show you what I mean.

Last edited:
Here. How would I go about blocking half of it? (if not I'll just get a smaller powerfilter)

Attachments

• D.C 108.jpg
    D.C 108.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 127
Putting it in the output didn't work? From reading it seems you added it to your intake, try taking some spare floss or something and putting it right at the spillway, see how that works for you

is this what you meant? It stops just a little water from entering the spill way. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 120
I mean in front of the biowheel, literally where the water gets into the tank. If its there it should diffuse it a little

I tried that earlier, it slowed down a bit but still not a proper dwarf seahorse environment. When I return that petco filter, I'll grab a smaller Power Filter.

(dumb question) But how can I get it to stay on the spillway? I was using the filter cover to hold it up, but when I add more it falls off.

hmm, maybe ditch the biowheel effect and wedge it in there so it doesn't move anymore. No harm done there

I tried wedging it for like a half an hour. Didn't get anywhere. :/
On a happy note, water parameters:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: I believe a 1.0
Nitrate: I FOUND MY TEST VIAL, I believe 10 ppm maybe more.
:D

Back
Top Bottom