My 55 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good LEDs, yes. Those Marinland ones? No.

Also, MH isn't as good as its perceived to be. Mr. X can tell you that a good T5HO fixture can put out the same amount of light as a MH. IMO over a larger area since MH are pretty spot-light like

Lol I don't mind a little light debate, I would like to see some long term feedback from leds. All the comments I see are positive but nobody seems to have had leds for that long of a time on their tank. There are quite a bit of money so I myself will be holding out a little while longer for leds. I have absolute no experience with anyone with the marinland ones so I couldn't comment on those.

the marineland "doublebright" fixture says "36 – 48” - (16) 1W 6000K White & (8) .06W Blue LEDs 1200 Lumens"

1200 lumens is not enough. a spiral compact lamp which is 20 watts (one of those curly q energy saver bulbs) puts out the same lumens. you cannot keep corals under this fixture.

view the chart below for an idea about intensity-

img_1297481_0_f2f07bc3b7e2a00ff963b112cd10f62f.gif

Well I wish they would live under a curly q energy saver bulb because that would save me a lot of money!! Good info mr X.

In in the process of building my first reeftank. In my reading I am finding nothing but praise for LEDs. With nothing negative being spoken about them, I am forging forward with the mainland LEDs for my lighting.

Robert Fox

In in the process of building my first reeftank. In my reading I am finding nothing but praise for LEDs. With nothing negative being spoken about them, I am forging forward with the mainland LEDs for my lighting.

Robert Fox

Sounds good, let us know how they workout

how do led lights work anyway they are like half a watt and t5s are 54 watts per for my tank

Thank you, yes I will let you know how they work. On the marineland LEDs each light is one watt. The model I am choosing has 18 lights and I need six units. (i have a 180 gallon tank) This brings the total to 90 watts.

even their "reef capable" fixtures don't put out enough lumens.
Our Products
the fixture you are choosing only puts out 1305 lumens. barely more than a spiral energy saver bulb. 6 energy saver bulbs and you still can't keep corals.

as shown in this comparison chart-
img_1305066_0_f2f07bc3b7e2a00ff963b112cd10f62f.gif

This lighting thing drives me crazy, may have to go back to the drawing board. Any suggestions for lighting for a coral reef tank 30" deep.
Rather not have metal halides.

Get nice t5s from aquatraders.com. I bought my 4 bulb 159 watt with 4 led moonlights from there for only about 100$. They always have sales and it they are good fixtures. They even have halides that are cheap. Yours might be in the 80-100$ range

Back
Top Bottom