My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you using Glut? If so what dose? Also remember in the beginning months most tanks get green dust algae on their glass. Most all my tanks go through that especially ones with higher light. I've always just used an algae magnet to keep it clean and have found as the tank matures and balances out that algae just seems to run it's course (unless your actually getting something like BBA on the glass) and goes away. I only run an algae magnet over my front glass every 2 or so weeks and that is to just remove the natural layer of bio-film that builds up on it. You can run a 2 hour break in your light cycle if you want but honestly I have never done that.

canopy will help reduce some of the evaporation, but can be a PITA to move all the time, but it does make for a nice overall look. Swords need iron so root tabs are a must. I use the dry supplement tabs that come with the applicator. It makes adding micro and macro ferts a breeze. You've come a long way baby!

I really like your tank. I agree with Rivercats about letting it stay like it is and let everything grow up some. Be sure and check out Rivercats tanks. They are pretty awesome! I cycled my 55 gal with zebra danios. They were pretty hardy. I'm looking forward to see what fish you add. I have 3 different gouramis in my tank. Plus other assortments. I love the neon blue dwarf gourami. Pretty colorful.

thanks! this forum has helped me so much!! I have 5 cherry barbs and 5cories.. not sure what else I want.. and the lfs hasn't had much so I end up buying plants!! :-D
my wish list is cardinal tetra or Rummynose nose, pair of rams
I love to see a large school being the main focus!

I was going to do rummynose tetras but discovered pristella tetras at my lfs. I really like them. I only have 3 right now but plan on getting 4-5 more for a school Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 2013-04-22 22.32.06.jpg
    2013-04-22 22.32.06.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 48
Cardinal tetras and certain rams require higher temps (usually 84+) so the impact on your plants and other fish can be of concern. too cold and your cardinal tetras and rams suffer. I have had success in my Discus tank with green coreys, cardinal tetras and black flag tetras. In my Angel tank (82 degees) I have had success with green coreys, red rasporas and, black skirt tetras. I try to keep from the same region (Amazon) in a tank with 2-3 species...not much more. Just can't keep Discus and Angels together...that would be bad for the Discus.

Cardinal tetras and certain rams require higher temps (usually 84+) so the impact on your plants and other fish can be of concern. too cold and your cardinal tetras and rams suffer. I have had success in my Discus tank with green coreys, cardinal tetras and black flag tetras. In my Angel tank (82 degees) I have had success with green coreys, red rasporas and, black skirt tetras. I try to keep from the same region (Amazon) in a tank with 2-3 species...not much more. Just can't keep Discus and Angels together...that would be bad for the Discus.

Yah i didn't think about the temperature issue... hum.. guess I'll keep tending to my plants and few fish for awhile :)

well I put my driftwood in and my tank looks like sweet tea!!! With weekly WC, it's not too bad! ;-)
what should my phosphate levels be? they were low before starting PPS-Pro, but now they are 5ppm..

Do you have your nitrates mixed in one bottle and the phosphates and potassium mixed in another bottle? If you don't dose you phosphates this week and then restart them after your WC but only dose them at 1/2 the amount you've been dosing them at. Often you have to make adjustments up or down with your nitrates and or phosphates to keep your tank at the levels you want. I always test my tank for those right before my weekly WC to see where my levels are at. And 5ppm really isn't bad. You don't need it that high because you don't have alot of red plants but it won't hurt. It will lower after your weekly 50% WC. Normally you want nitrates to be 10-20ppm and phosphates .5-1ppm.

thanks! could tannins make my plant leaves yellow or is this an algae issue?!
Should I trim those leaves?

here's a different problem too... going to add root tabs for my crypts.. maybe that will help.. i did that over a month ago

ForumRunner_20130510_143612.jpg

Yellow leaves on plants often indicate an iron deficiency. If your phosphates are too high cut dosing phosphate by half the normal dose. It takes awhile to get a tank dialed into the amounts of ferts needed to keep your levels where you want them. This is very normal. I test my nitrates and phosphates weekly to see if I need to make any adjustments in my dosing.

ok so i did another pwc, added aquarium plants.com total and iron root tabs.. Cleaned glass, and set up light on a 6hr timers!
How much glut should I be dosing?
Also I am dosing PPS-Pro 1ml per 10gal.. is that ok to start with, then I can tweak from there?

I love this piece!! Still think I want a branch on other side with moss on it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130511_180058.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130511_180058.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom