My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what's wrong with my Cambo
and is my Amazon sword planted too deep?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130324_162511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130324_162511.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 97
Often times Cabomba looses bottom leaves due to lack of enough light reaching them. What type lighting do you have on the tank?

:agree: I give my amazon swords extra root tabs (they love phosphate and iron) and they are always like on sterioids lol. I often see that plants like my ludwigia 's bottom leaves will fall off since it gets so dense at the top, the bottom of the stems don't get much light and they just fall off...but I can angle the lights so that all the leaves get it :)

:agree: I give my amazon swords extra root tabs (they love phosphate and iron) and they are always like on sterioids lol. I often see that plants like my ludwigia 's bottom leaves will fall off since it gets so dense at the top, the bottom of the stems don't get much light and they just fall off...but I can angle the lights so that all the leaves get it :)

That's how I do my lights, mine are clip on desk lamps so they are flexible. I always thought I was lowlight until after talking to Rivercats she thinks I'm at medium light at the very least, I'm giving rotala rotundifolia a try. I was using seachem root tabs and when I read about the DIY Osmocote ones I've been using it ( only 3-4 pellets instead of the full 6 pellets since I had a root tab ready) along with seachem tabs and my sword has exploded! I think I remember Rivercats (I think) saying that swords especially like API tabs because they are all phosphate and iron.

With having low light all you can do is keep trimming and replanting the Cabomba so you always have a fully leaved stem. Or you can let them get tall and plant a thick bush plant in front of them to hide the bare stems. Best option would be to upgrade your lighting but I know that isn't always doable for people. In your case ferts won't help with this problem.

API Leaf Zone liquid fert is potassium and iron. I'm pretty sure their root tabs are a mix of macro and micro nutrients. I use AquariumPlant root tabs, Iron, Phosphate, and Total. I use all three for swords every 45 days. I use up to 3 tabs of each kind on large swords, 2 tabs of each kind on medium swords, and 1 tab of each kind on small swords.

With having low light all you can do is keep trimming and replanting the Cabomba so you always have a fully leaved stem. Or you can let them get tall and plant a thick bush plant in front of them to hide the bare stems. Best option would be to upgrade your lighting but I know that isn't always doable for people. In your case ferts won't help with this problem.

API Leaf Zone liquid fert is potassium and iron. I'm pretty sure their root tabs are a mix of macro and micro nutrients. I use AquariumPlant root tabs, Iron, Phosphate, and Total. I use all three for swords every 45 days. I use up to 3 tabs of each kind on large swords, 2 tabs of each kind on medium swords, and 1 tab of each kind on small swords.

Just a random thought... I wonder if freezing the liquid API ferts and using them as root tabs would last longer than having to dose it everyday?

I don't think that would be a good idea. I'm not a chemist but I know freezing can kill and alter some things. I would contact API and ask them.

Yes I'm hoping to upgrade lighting but probably not right now
I use their iron and total, I'll have to get the phosphate one too!

I'm looking into better lighting.. not sure if i should do t5ho or led. I'm kinda on a budget
also a stupid question, if my tank is 48in, do I buy exactly 48?

my water has been a little cloudy.. any ideas why? I do weekly water changes and parameters are fine..
this is today's pic of tank, I did pwc yesterday

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130412_102029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130412_102029.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom