My apistos made babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah bro, what happened?
nature? User error? Utter stupidity? I'm totally new to fry, it seems the ones that died were smaller than the rest.. I'll admit I did a 20% wc that killed 2 right in that moment, after that I used the smallest diameter tubing I have to trickle new water in.. I'm really confident that the 15-20 remaining fry are strong and should hopefully do well under my care. Dragon.. Should I wait another week and get all the fry out if main Into fry tank?? At what point will make see his male fry as intruders and murder them?? He's a beast..

image-369254632.jpg

Aw, so they were probably the weaker ones then. That's normal.

When I pour my refill water in, I go really slow so the fry don't get bounced around.

Daddy shouldn't be worried about any male fry at this point. There shouldn't be any sexing going on this early. If you feel confident that you can raise the rest of the fry in the other tank, go ahead and move them over. It's completely up to you. :)

I know it's a habit bro but try and monitor the levels of the water and wait as long as possible before doing a water change. Feed a little less so it's extended. When you do a wc, try and do a cup and wait and another cup and wait since It's a small tank and there is a super tiny bioload

I know it's a habit bro but try and monitor the levels of the water and wait as long as possible before doing a water change. Feed a little less so it's extended. When you do a wc, try and do a cup and wait and another cup and wait since It's a small tank and there is a super tiny bioload

With fry you actually need to feed more often and do water changes more often :)

Fry should be fed 3-4 times a day, and I do daily water changes because of that.

With fry you actually need to feed more often and do water changes more often :)

Fry should be fed 3-4 times a day, and I do daily water changes because of that.

Yes I actually meant each time you feed though! I should have been more clear! And the water changes I'm basically saying monitor the levels and try and not change water until a certain point, say- 10 nitrates or so and do smaller water changes versus one a week to keep it as stress free as possible!!! I should have clarified a bit but that's a red light post!!!

With fry you actually need to feed more often and do water changes more often :) Fry should be fed 3-4 times a day, and I do daily water changes because of that.
im doing the best I can with my schedule, feeding 2-3 times daily and 10-20% wc atleast every other day, the filter I put in was well cycled to handle a luge larger bio load than what's in the tank, taking into acct food break down as well..

im doing the best I can with my schedule, feeding 2-3 times daily and 10-20% wc atleast every other day, the filter I put in was well cycled to handle a luge larger bio load than what's in the tank, taking into acct food break down as well..

Yep, I understand. Scheduling around fry is tough for sure. Sounds like you've got everything pretty well handled. I would bump up the WC amount though. Might not be making enough of a dent between waste and the amount of food the little guys need.

Yep, I understand. Scheduling around fry is tough for sure. Sounds like you've got everything pretty well handled. I would bump up the WC amount though. Might not be making enough of a dent between waste and the amount of food the little guys need.
whats to much? Surely a 50% would need to be so precisely executed the odds would be against me??

Have faith padawan. If you have the water sit out over night so that the pH doesn't shock the fry and you can regulate the temp so there isn't a temp shock, 50% isn't out of the realm for a fry Jedi.

Have faith padawan. If you have the water sit out over night so that the pH doesn't shock the fry and you can regulate the temp so there isn't a temp shock, 50% isn't out of the realm for a fry Jedi.

I think of it more as a clone trooper

treat water I will. Mmmm the force is strong with you Jamie! Today.. water changes with my mind;)

A lot of breeders do 50% changes daily on the fry. I would start removing all extra food after they are done eating also, if you feed to much they can get ruptured stomach from the food dissolving. But by removing the food you have less nitrates and less chance of them rupturing their stomachs. A lot of the weaker dry will die at first. And you can do a way better job then the mother at raising the fry!

LOL! He will not be the only one soon and then they will take over the world after they re-discover Atlantis XD

Ha, my baby rams discovered a crypt root. I guess they thought it was a worm and went on the attack. Looked like a bunch of puppies over a rope toy.

Ha, my baby rams discovered a crypt root. I guess they thought it was a worm and went on the attack. Looked like a bunch of puppies over a rope toy.
that's awesome! I can see mini ramsters being quite the little characters..

Back
Top Bottom