My black moor like to sit in one corner, is there something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkbinx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My black moor like to sit in one corner, is there something wrong? He doesn't always just stay stationary, but when i come home from school he's sitting there in that same corner. He can be a very lively fish at times, but should i be worried?

Do you have any other fish in there, and does the black moor show any signs of breathing hard or damage around the gills of fins? What size tank is it, and do you know how your water parameters are, as well as whether the tank was cycled first?

If you have any questions about these terms, please do ask and someone should be able to help you out if you're new!

He's a loner for now, until I get a bigger tank. He's pretty young, but my tank is 15 gallons. My parameters seemed fine when I last tested them, maybe my ph was a bit high, but nothing too drastic, like 7.5-7.8. Do you new moors have to get used to new areas?

He may well just be sleeping then if he's active at other times and water parameters seem fine :) If he's alert when feeding and seems to explore the tank otherwise, keep a good visual eye on him and check water parameters often, as well as keeping up on water changes. 15g should be okay until he begins growing, and it sounds like you're already looking the right direction towards getting a bigger tank (y)

Thanks for your help, I want the best for my fish! Any other tips would be highly appreciated.

No problem.

As I mentioned, it's good you're already looking towards a bigger and only keeping the one black moor, as as they grow they can put a strain on a small tank as they are, comparatively speaking, quite messy fish and need a larger tank, strong filter, and regular water changes to keep them in the best health. I have kept moors before and they are attractive fish, just keep up on your maintenance. Their fins especially can be great indicators of your water quality - you never want to see them getting ragged and torn. Also, be careful if you have any plastic plants that may have somewhat sharp edges to them - eyes on moors are easily damaged. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom