My convicts breed, but the fry disappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyderik

Aquarium Advice Regular
When cichlids like convicts breed do you separate the fry from the parents and put them in a grow tank? I seem to have fry around every month or so... but after a few days they seem to disappear.

Do I seperate all the fry from both parents, or just the father?
Also If I do seperate, what do they eat?

Thanks
D

I separate my cichlid fry if I want to grow the fry out. Most cichlids will eat the fry. Are the convicts the only fish in the tank?

Some babies will make it, but if you seperate the male, the female will care for the babies much longer.

Zagz said:
I separate my cichlid fry if I want to grow the fry out. Most cichlids will eat the fry. Are the convicts the only fish in the tank?

How do you grab them out? There are currently 6 full grown convicts in there. But the 2 albino's just laid eggs... Id like a couple to make it.
Do I wait till they hatch and net them out...or try and scoop them out with a small scoop?

stuttle - Its a red terror. I dont have one....just want one. I have 2 green terrors, but they dont look as good, and are about 1/10th the cost :)

You can siphon them out when they are wrigglers, or ou can wait until they are dree swimming and catch them with a net.

Back
Top Bottom