My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, jus done a water test after topping ammonia bk upto 1ppm and got
Ammo 0.25
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :(

I wouldn't worry about any more pwc's for a while. Just keep dosing the ammonia every 24 hours and find a good book or something to take your mind off the empty fish tank :). I'm a little superstitious...and I bet if you don't even test no2 until Saturday, you may have a nice surprise waiting for you.:fish2:

eco23 said:
I wouldn't worry about any more pwc's for a while. Just keep dosing the ammonia every 24 hours and find a good book or something to take your mind off the empty fish tank :). I'm a little superstitious...and I bet if you don't even test no2 until Saturday, you may have a nice surprise waiting for you.:fish2:

Gdgd I wasn't looking forward to the buckets again lol. I'll do that then if I can resist testing that is lol thanks again :)

Hello all, couldn't resist testing 2days in a row lol wish I did now tho :(
Ammo 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Any thoughts??

Chris22 said:
Hello all, couldn't resist testing 2days in a row lol wish I did now tho :(
Ammo 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Any thoughts??

I'd dose the ammo back up to 1-2ppm and let it keep going for the weekend. If by Monday the no2 isn't dropping, we'll break the buckets back out, go back to 4ppm and wait it out :).

eco23 said:
I'd dose the ammo back up to 1-2ppm and let it keep going for the weekend. If by Monday the no2 isn't dropping, we'll break the buckets back out, go back to 4ppm and wait it out :).

Nooo the dreaded 'B' word lol. Ok I'll keep topping ammo up over weekend and hopefully get bk to u Monday with some good news :)

Chris22 said:
Nooo the dreaded 'B' word lol. Ok I'll keep topping ammo up over weekend and hopefully get bk to u Monday with some good news :)

My friend, 3 words...Python Water Changer. (Aqueon make a good one too).

You won't know how you lived without it.

eco23 said:
My friend, 3 words...Python Water Changer. (Aqueon make a good one too).

You won't know how you lived without it.

I've searched everywhere for one and can't find any anywhere, even online, it's like they don't sell them in the uk, they had them on amazon but not in stock and they don't know if they'll be stocking them again :( and bk to the cycling process quickly I think I'll wait til Sunday and change the water then if need be, work on Monday's and after hard days work I don't wanna be carrying big buckets lol.

Tested my waters today and got
Ammo 0.25ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Water change tomorrow to get the nitrites down to a readable level again.

Just tested my waters 30mins after doing a 90% water change and got this
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Not sure where I am with this cycle anymore lol any help or suggestions appreciated :) thanks in advance

Chris22 said:
Just tested my waters 30mins after doing a 90% water change and got this
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Not sure where I am with this cycle anymore lol any help or suggestions appreciated :) thanks in advance

I'd only dose ~1ppm every 24 hours for the next 2 days, hope the no2 drops on it's own, and if not go back to 4ppm every 24 hours and wait it out. It's all about patience at this point. The lower addition of ammo should prevent the no2 from piling up too fast, but we don't want to do it for much longer.

eco23 said:
I'd only dose ~1ppm every 24 hours for the next 2 days, hope the no2 drops on it's own, and if not go back to 4ppm every 24 hours and wait it out. It's all about patience at this point. The lower addition of ammo should prevent the no2 from piling up too fast, but we don't want to do it for much longer.

I've been topping ammo up to 1ppm for about a week now still no drop in nitrite, they either don't want to or their just lazy lol This is where my patience will start to run thin but really want to do this the right way as ill be better off in the long run. I hope.

Chris22 said:
I've been topping ammo up to 1ppm for about a week now still no drop in nitrite, they either don't want to or their just lazy lol This is where my patience will start to run thin but really want to do this the right way as ill be better off in the long run. I hope.

Oooooh...if it's been a week you've got to go back to 4ppm and wait it out a bit longer. If you keep it at 1ppm the bacteria will start adjusting to that level and develop a weaker bio-filter. It'll be worth it, you're just about done.

It sucks having to wait it out, but if you don't like pwc's...be glad you don't have fish during this process. Daily 50% pwc's are common for them to remain healthy.

eco23 said:
Oooooh...if it's been a week you've got to go back to 4ppm and wait it out a bit longer. If you keep it at 1ppm the bacteria will start adjusting to that level and develop a weaker bio-filter. It'll be worth it, you're just about done.

Yeah that's what I've done now just testin again no to make sure it's at 4ppm. And believe me I don't wanna be doin 50% pwc everyday that's for sure lol it takes me an hour to fill mine at the moment still can't get hold of a water changer anywhere.

I use buckets. Anyway you're doing fine, just keep on going along.

JimmyA said:
I use buckets. Anyway you're doing fine, just keep on going along.

Yeah I use buckets 2 but cause I got sand I cant jus tip it in I have to use a jug :( takes forever. And no doubt I'll jus keep plodding along til the magic happens lol. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Hello all, after topping ammo bk Up To 4.0ppm yesterday,Today's test is as follows
Ammo 1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :( (already)
Really starting to dislike this nitrite stuff now.
On a lighter note got my piece of mopani (think thats what it was) wood in my tank now jus need a few live plants :)

Attachments

• image-2198249301.jpg
    image-2198249301.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 70
What you could do is get a full bucket of water (on refilling the tank), and have it higher than the tank, get a small - medium size tube and run it from the bucket into the tank. Then siphon! Might make filling the tank easier.

JimmyA said:
What you could do is get a full bucket of water (on refilling the tank), and have it higher than the tank, get a small - medium size tube and run it from the bucket into the tank. Then siphon! Might make filling the tank easier.

Never thought of that, gonna have to get a high chair to stick the bucket on first as my tank is quite high, I'll definitely give it a go tho, thanks.

I have done that. I thought it would be a slower way of introducing the water without turning everything upside down in your tank. When I just pour the water in, it displaces all my substrate. Just a thought if you want to try that.

Back
Top Bottom