My experience with African Dwarf Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went my my local LFS and they had just got a shipment of ADF and my wife went crazy with about wanting a pair so I bought them. I got some bad advice about them I asked about tank height and was told my tall tank would not be a problem that he had them and loved them. Well go them home then did my research and found that tall tanks are a NO NO and that he frogs are pretty much blind and need the food in front of them.
So after two days of not seeing the frogs in the tank and worrying that they drown or starved to death because of my piggy fish I returned them after removing every decoration out of my tank to find them.
I found that this frogs are very shy and you will not see them just not what I wanted in a pet.

They are social and tend to do better with more than one of them. We have to and they hide some then show up some. Also any tank over 24 inches is bad but anything under that is fine!

I had a ADF in a 29g tank that was 18'' tall for about a year, then got a 65g 24'' tall tank. He only lived for about 6 months in the 65g. I never saw him eat, but he has very active and friendly. He would climb all over my clown loaches. He would SHOOT up to the top for a breathe and then back down. Maybe he didnt live long beacuse it wasnt optimal condition. But he was a fun little guy.

Back
Top Bottom