My Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a 2 years ago I got a 50g Sea Clear tank that I used for freshwater. After cycling I added my fish: 4 Red Eyed Tetras, a Common Pleco, 4 Albino Corys, and my beloved Dragon Goby (Hence my name). After research and about 4 months later I learned about what my Plecos size would be when he became an adult and later moved him to one of my ponds where he still lives to this day. My red eyes passed after a unfortunate water quality disaster and I have all the Corys in a 30g Iwagumi at the moment. Then it was left to Sir Frances (My Dragon Goby) alone in a tank. Later I got 3 Bumblebee Gobies and some Mollies to keep him company. A year passed and I learned that my Bumblebee Gobies and Dragon Goby are brackish fish. So I converted the tank and I knew the Mollies would survive as they can handle it as well. Then I thought to myself "What if I could convert this tank to full salt?" So I tried it and over 3 months POOF! It worked! During this time we lost 2 Bumblebee Gobies 1 of them because he jumped one tragic evening and another just didn't handle the transition well. But I thought I would share this with all of you because I thought it was cool I converted some brackish fish to salt. Thank you for reading this and happy fish keeping!

So now do you plan on adding marine fish or coral? What was the motivation to change it to salt if you didn't have to?

I was too curious as to the effect on the fish you have "converted" to salt. Mollies i know can withstand it, but the others im not sure if they are strictly brackish or not. If they are strictly brackish then why risk it at all?

I was too curious as to the effect on the fish you have "converted" to salt. Mollies i know can withstand it, but the others im not sure if they are strictly brackish or not. If they are strictly brackish then why risk it at all?

I wouldn't really consider risking it. I raised the salt over a long period of time and I would have stopped at any sign of distress. They all look extremely healthy and my perimeters are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So now do you plan on adding marine fish or coral? What was the motivation to change it to salt if you didn't have to?

I have thought about marine fish and coral but I don't know how well they would all get along. I think my Dragon Goby would destroy the coral and they are too expensive to take the risk. My motivation was mainly curiosity.

The dragon goby strikes me as a more carnivorous animal than an eater of.... whatever a coral eater is classified. You'd be surprised how much fish ignore coral.

The dragon goby strikes me as a more carnivorous animal than an eater of.... whatever a coral eater is classified. You'd be surprised how much fish ignore coral.

Yes but he is very destructive when I used to have plants in there he would do anything in his power to rip them up.

Back
Top Bottom