My first Corals and Anenomies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In about a month I am planning on moving and when I get settled I plan on buying live rock for my aquarium and would also like to purchased a cheap anenomie and maybe a LPS coral. I also want to get some various fish. First off: How many anenomies/coral/fish can I add at a time. Is there a specific order that is best and how much time should I wait between introducing each animal? Also, how important is a quarantine tank and can I get away without having one? One more question. sorry. I it safe to buy fish online? Are they healthy when they arrive?

I wouldn't add an anemone for 6 months or so. That's about the length of time for the average learning curve and the end to the bulk of the potentially fatal errors you're likely to experience.

Whether or not you buy your fish online is a personal decision, but we've done it with mixed degrees of success. Some animals don't ship so well so for those it is better to get them from an LFS where they've had a chance to settle in (and live or die) before you bring them home.

As far as corals go you can add so easy LPS (lobos, frogspawn, etc) by month 2 or so after the cycle, just keep a good eye on the parameters to make sure that you're ready and the tank is stable.

You can add many corals at once, one big fish or a couple of small fish. More with more water volume in the system (you could add more big fish to a 200g system than you can add to a 75g system).

Best to add the least agressive fish first so that they have time to establish a territory before the bruisers are added to the tank.

I'm sure the experts will jump in no this one.
1st thing they going to ask you is what kinda of equipment n size tank, how much LR, lighting and so on.
how famillar you are what kinda research have you done on sw so far.

1. Anonyme = just read on previous post that you want to wait till the tank is well established. ( 8months or so)

2. how many fish at a time? = 1 or 2 at a time. this allows your tank to adjust for the new bio-load.(so I have read) I have question on this myself. what if they are small fish? like 3 small green chromis?

3. how often can you add fish? = every 3 or 4 weeks if i remember correctly. I read it on a previous post. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

4. Quarantine tank = I dont have one myself. I've heard its good to have but sadly I just really dont have the room. So I'll have to be extra careful in selecting my fish and asking the lfs just how long they have had the fish.

5. Buying fish on-line. Since I'm still getting into this and havent even put a fish in my tank yet I cant really say if its good or bad fish wise. However there are some good n bad points.
Good: petco and drfostersmith give 15 / 14 day guarantee on the fish.
prices are normally lower then local stores.
large selection vs LFS (less you lucky n have a huge saltwater place by you)

Bad: min. order. most require a min of $30.00 order and delivery is $35.00. so now u have to do that cost comparison. is X fish worth buying on-line at Z price w/ a 14 day guarantee vs paying Y at LSF that prob doesnt offer any guarantee.
You dont get to see the fish, pick it out, see it eat, personality etc.

Like post already need info on tank... size and LIGHTING before you can get an answer on corals and anemone..
And agree on waiting before getting an anemone.

Sorry I should have included this before. Here is the info on my tank.

-55 gallon, still cycling
-No live rock yet, but when I move in a month or so I am going to buy atleast 30lbs to add to my existing no-live rock.
-I have 6 damsels right now and they are doing well considering the tank is cycling
-I just purchased a new lighting set up. Its 48 inches, 2x 65w Straight pins 12000K Daylight PC Bulb. 2x 65W Straight pins True Actinic PC Bulb.
-there are timers on each individual light as well
-about 2 inches of live sand

So far all of your advice has been very helpful! If anyone has suggestions on live rock, fish, corals, etc. for when I move and get a little more serious I would be very appreciative.

lanej20 said:
Sorry I should have included this before. Here is the info on my tank.

-55 gallon, still cycling
-No live rock yet, but when I move in a month or so I am going to buy atleast 30lbs to add to my existing no-live rock.
-I have 6 damsels right now and they are doing well considering the tank is cycling
-I just purchased a new lighting set up. Its 48 inches, 2x 65w Straight pins 12000K Daylight PC Bulb. 2x 65W Straight pins True Actinic PC Bulb.
-there are timers on each individual light as well
-about 2 inches of live sand

So far all of your advice has been very helpful! If anyone has suggestions on live rock, fish, corals, etc. for when I move and get a little more serious I would be very appreciative.

Cycling a tank with fish isnt nice at all. Its not a good feeling for the fish. You shouldve cycled the tank with a shrimp from your local fishmarket or supermarket.

Thanks, I do feel bad for cycling the tank with fish but my lfs did not make it out to be that bad of a thing. I realize now that it is. On another note though. If anyone does have advice on what kind of fish, live rock, corals, etc to put in my tank when I move I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

When you move your gonna have to start over.. Get LR and start the cycle over again w/out fish. IMO you should have waited if you knew your were going to move

Back
Top Bottom