My first Oscar tank! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what are you feeding, many on this site recommend nls, that's what I use. I used to feed mine 3x a day (I read it online) but after checking here was advised to do twice a day about 12 hrs apart

Right now im feeding him Tetra cichlid flakes, I know that flakes arent the best but today im going to LFS and buying cichlid pellets and freeze dried shrimp, any other food/supplements I should buy for him.?

I would skip the freeze dried stuff. My fiance bought some, but I rarely give it. I've been told nls small pellets is best until about 4 in. Then you could start w live bloodworms, crickets, frozen foods, veggies if he'll eat them as treats with a nutritional pellet being the staple. just my opinion.. I wouldn't give feeder fish either, they could carry disease

Ok, what wrong with feeding him freeze dried? And are there any supplements I can give him, you know to make him healthier? Right now hes healthy but im just wondering,

I'm not sure what's wrong with it, just more suggestions I got on this forum I'm passing along. You could start a new thread and ask about treats and give his size, might get more suggestions for treats/nutrition

Your best bet would be to get him used to eating a well balanced pellet such as New Life Spectrum or its equivalent and sticking to it. It will benefit the fish in the long wrong.

Your best bet would be to get him used to eating a well balanced pellet such as New Life Spectrum or its equivalent and sticking to it. It will benefit the fish in the long wrong.

agreed, that's what mine eats

I would also agree with getting him on something like omega one pellets, New Life Spectrum or hikari with the occasional frozen brine shrimp, earthworms and crickets.

I would feed like 5 times a week pellets 1 day the frozen cricket or work and then the last day nothing to let him fully digest everything.

If you read the hikari label you will notice the difference between it and the premium brands. It has many fillers listed. Primarily ingredients that would not be part of there natural food intake.

And like always stay away from feeding it goldfish feeders. Not worth the risk. Culture your own night crawler worms. Or raise your own love bearers. Or just stick to the pellets.

FishBoy185 said:
Ok, what wrong with feeding him freeze dried? And are there any supplements I can give him, you know to make him healthier? Right now hes healthy but im just wondering,

Freeze dried food is typically a much lower nutritional value than a quality pellet. They are also harder on the intestines. For example, blood worms have an exoskeleton that needs to be digested. Constipation can be a result.

Economically, you'll do better with pellets as well.

Ugh guys I need some advice, well my dad thought the tank looked empty so what he did without asking me was he bought another tiger oscar and a convict AND a jack dempsey. Im so mad right now he wont let me get rid of them because he says the tank is just fine right now but its not the water is already cloudy!! Please help how can I convince him that my tank is wayyy overstocked? Whatever I say to him he doesnt listen.

Yes, showing him the site might help.. Ask him if he's ready to buy you a 125g in a couple months too =) nicely explain him a lot of the ways of fish keeping have changed over the years, sounds like he's old school =) hopefully you can convince him with time. With oscars and other wet pets, It's about having healthy fish that live a long time, not about having a whole bunch.

Back
Top Bottom