My first saltwater tank. 10g Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Hicks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I am new here, my name is Darron. I have always wanted a saltwater tank. I love the thought of having the ocean in my room. I finally got a job and decided to just go for it (after quite a bit of research). I have had my tank for 1 week tomorrow. I decided to start with a nano tank since they can be tougher. I think if I can sustain a nano I can do a larger tank eventually. I may do my first water change this week however I have not had any problems yet (that I know of). Here is my tank, sorry for the poor picture. My filter is on the back now and I introduced a Clown Fish to my tank 2 days ago. My setup is
10 gallon tank
Marineland 150 Biofilter
Tetra heater
10 lbs of Live Rock
CaribSea live sand
6 snails and 5 hermit crabs for clean up crew
I have 20" T5 Lights on the way
What do you guys think??
img_2573032_0_bdd24824d5276248df4015ae03ca18b8.jpg

Sounds good, but I wish you let the tank cycle more before adding fish. Let it cycle at least 3-4 weeks. Good luck

Yes, you really need to cycle the tank before putting fish in it. Do you have a test kit? If not I recommend getting one ASAP, during the cycle you will have levels of ammonia which are toxic to fish. Clown fish are pretty hardy but it is considered cruel to cycle a tank with fish in. Once you have a test kit and know what your levels are you can keep on top of the ammonia with water changes so that the fish doesn't die. Welcome to salt water, there is a lot to learn but step one is don't rush!

If you cannot get a test kit today you should do a 5 gallon water change today and every other day. Ammonia is created fast and if it doesn't kill your fish it will at least make him unhappy.

I would also add a power head to give the tank more water flow. Water flow is one of the most important things to have in a saltwater tank.

OP used all live rock it looks like so the cycle would be short if at all. Depends on the live rock he used of course. i still would have waited a few more days before adding anything and would definitely test now and for the next couple weeks to be sure the rock is doing it's job since you now have a fish.
I agree, I'd get a powerhead for sure. :)

My lfs put me kind of on a schedule for my tank. I added water, sand, and rock waited 3 days, then added the clean up crew and waited 4 days then added my fish, so I have had the tank a little more than a week. They said it should be fine since I used live sand, live rock and bought the water from them and the levels were correct. I have a powerhead that is 170gph but I am a little worried about putting it in the tank. My clown fish is kind of small and stays on the side away from the filter and I am worried the water movement will be too much for him to swim in. What test kit do you guys recommend? I want/need to do a water change but I am out of money until the end of the week when I get paid so I can not buy salt and water. I could probably buy water ($1 per gallon at the lfs) but their levels may not be the same as mine.

I also really want to add an anemone so that my fish has a place to just chill. I know I need to wait a little longer and make sure my levels are where they are supposed to be but even then I am not sure how to go about doing it. Im sorry, I have so many stupid questions

I would wait on a anemone until you are sure your tank is cycled, anemones need good water quality and stable parameters, IMO you should cycle a tank for at least a month before fish is added

I agree about the nem, wait. I waited a couple years before I added mine lol. Tanks go through alot of changes over the first 6-12 months and a nem needs stable pristine conditions. :)

My clown fish is eating when I feed him and does not stop moving in the tank. I think this is good, right? He constantly swims up by the filter and lets the water push him away from it, he can swim through it though when he wants because I have watched him do it. I have been feeding it 1 time a day, yesterday I fed it omega 0ne garlic pellets and freeze dried bloodworms. Today I only fed it the bloodworms.

Do you have a top on the tank? My clowns used to ride the flow from my return, but they rode it right out of the tank. I've had a total of 4 clowns do this, 2 pairs.

Do you have a top on the tank? My clowns used to ride the flow from my return, but they rode it right out of the tank. I've had a total of 4 clowns do this, 2 pairs.
Yup glass top on the tank! Him riding the flow of water is why I have been hesitant to put the powerhead in there.

Added a powerhead today. I will try to post a video maybe so that you can tell me if it seems ok. I put the powerhead on the end near my HOB Filter so that the stuff not cleaned by the filter is pushed into my LR. I also put the heater down there to even out the heat more. Going to try to upgade to the Koraila 240gph Powerhead next week. After I buy about 10 pounds of salt, a 5 gallon bucket, some filtered water, a test kit, 5 more pounds of LR, and pay back money I have borrowed I should be broke for 2 more weeks.

Hahaha oh just wait until you start adding livestock, I stopped keeping my receipts after about 2grand:/ haha

I dont even wanna think about how much I have spent in total on equipment and fish and corals. I bet it comes out to over 10k. lol Boy, that just depressed me lol

I always try to keep my passion for the hobby alive with new additions and make sure my reefs are always thriving, it makes those purchases easier when you know you have something amazing to show for it. Also watching the changes and growth in a reef tank are unmatched to any other aquarium or pet that I've had

Back
Top Bottom