My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supergummy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. Not sure if I posted this in the right place,oh well.

As I'm sure some of you know I recently posted a huge line of threads.
Well now.i got 29 gallon long tank. This is going to be all about me seething it up and questions I have. Thx.

So I'll jump right into it with my equipment

29 gal tank

Marine land 200 filter for up to 50 gallons.
A powerhead it says 201 it's really old, I'll keep you posted
A heater for up to 30 gallons
Buying lighting soon

Now for my tank environment

It's going to be a heavily planted tank with pool filter sand for substrate. It's going to have a small rock wall in the back and a few rock caves scattered around.

Here's my stock
2 apistogramma viejeta 1 male 1 female
6 corydoras duplicareus
6 corydoras incolicana
6 panda tetra

Now for my questions

Is the powerhead worth it?
Does my equipment, environment, etc.
All ask all the rest later

Brookster123 helped me greatly while making this. I'll have pics up tommorow.
I know that was a lot to read through. Thx all.

In my opinion there is no point whatsoever having a power head. If the filter gives of enough flow then there isn't a point having a power head. If it doesn't give of enough flow then I would put the power head in.

I wouldn't use that rock in a fw setup, what are the measurements on that tank?

Should I send a pick, it hasn't been used in a few years, I can treat it

Ok thx, I'm gong to try it, should I use pool filters sand?

Pool filter sand or cichlid sand, will it go ok for the cories if I do cichlid sand?

Either substrates are fine, I like pool filter better. Less packing issues.. I'm not sure about the red vinegar, I know plain old white vinegar works..

Don't use the rock. Even if it is not live rock anymore, it will raise pH- not what you want for Apistogramma.

Don't use cichlid sand as it is likely aragonite sand and will also raise pH. Use pool filter sand.

Plant suggestions depend largely on what lighting you're using.

I'm still going to do the vinegar test incase, what do you recede mend moma? You seem pretty experienced

Use white vinegar, not red wine vinegar.

If the rock looks like this
IMAG0574.jpg

I can promise you it is not a good choice for Apistogramma. I have a bunch of what used to be live rock and I use it a lot in my African Rift Lake tanks specifically because it helps buffer my water.

We have no idea what kind of rock you have access to. River rock is very cheap at landscaping supply places, maybe try that. It's pretty easy to make caves with.
20140217_182032.jpg

Lace rock is inert too, sometimes you can find that at the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom