My Little One-eyed Lionhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
JLK if you remember, I have the little orange and white Lionhead that had her eye sucked out by a large Pleco (now gone). She and her sibling were the exact same size when they came home but now the larger is 5 times larger than Midge. I know she is getting enough to eat because she poops. I am worried about it coming to the point where she will not be able to compete with the larger fish. I have put so much variety in my fishes diet, that there are never strings of poop on them or in the tank. You have to check their bottoms to make sure that things are moving through. They are getting gobs of veggies, spirulina and oranges, on top of a very good quality sinking pellet.

Also, you remember that this is the little girl who developed the black spots on some of her scales and a large area of black on her back fin.

We did a Prazi treatment and the black spots went away. The black stayed on her tail fin but all of her fins looked healthy. I just decided that it was a color change that I hadn't noticed happening.

Then this morning, I was checking bottoms and all of a sudden noticed that the black is almost completely gone. Apparently, a good healthy diet helped her fight off whatever it was.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

<-------- Really expected to see a picture of a lionhead with a patch over one eye like a pirate. :(

Believe me, I have thought about that several times. He is such a cute little guy. He would be adorable with a patch.

JLK if you remember, I have the little orange and white Lionhead that had her eye sucked out by a large Pleco (now gone). She and her sibling were the exact same size when they came home but now the larger is 5 times larger than Midge. I know she is getting enough to eat because she poops. I am worried about it coming to the point where she will not be able to compete with the larger fish. I have put so much variety in my fishes diet, that there are never strings of poop on them or in the tank. You have to check their bottoms to make sure that things are moving through. They are getting gobs of veggies, spirulina and oranges, on top of a very good quality sinking pellet.

Also, you remember that this is the little girl who developed the black spots on some of her scales and a large area of black on her back fin.

We did a Prazi treatment and the black spots went away. The black stayed on her tail fin but all of her fins looked healthy. I just decided that it was a color change that I hadn't noticed happening.

Then this morning, I was checking bottoms and all of a sudden noticed that the black is almost completely gone. Apparently, a good healthy diet helped her fight off whatever it was.

Glad to hear she is doing well!!! Just keep an eye her to make sure she is getting her share of food. You may need to add a bit of hand feeding to supplement her diet if she is not getting enough food or if seems like she is being out competed at meal time. :)

I have tried to hand feed her bit she just swims away. I'm not sure I'm not sure I am doing it right. It is extremely hard to hold a small pellet in between your fingers and leave out enough for them to grab. If you open your hand and lay it on your palm, it just floats away.

Thanks Roz. That's a good idea.

Do you make your own foods or use gel food at all? I think this is the easiest way as a cube can be held in front of her so she can nibble. It may be worth a try! :)

I haven't tried making my own food yet. There are so many recipes out there and I am not sure which are well-balanced with the nutrients she needs.

Back
Top Bottom