My New 55 Gallon Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat1103

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank finally finished cycling last week. Danios were given to neighbor and I purchased 3 yellow labs on Friday. I was hoping all 3 were female. One became very aggressive to the others so I returned him to the LFS yesterday and picked up 3 new fish. So as of now this is what's in my tank and they all seem to getting along fine and are settled in.
Stock:
2 yellow labs
1 sunburst peacock
1 OB peacock
1 red tailed shark

Going to wait probably at least 2 weeks before I introduce any more new fish. But I would like to get some more peacocks for sure. The yellow labs love the cichlid stones. Plants are fake and substrate is round pebbles mixed with crushed coral. Tank is almost complete as far as decorating goes, I just still need a background. Thanks for all the advice throughout cycling ;) Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• DSC02515.jpg
    DSC02515.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC02502.jpg
    DSC02502.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC02528.jpg
    DSC02528.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC02524.jpg
    DSC02524.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 190
Looks great! I like the rock structure.

If it's in the budget I'd personally consider adding a background (flat black is my preference) and some more plants to fill in the back ground.

Going to add a background for sure. Just haven't found one I like yet. I'm afraid my OB peacock won't stand out with the black. I might get another plant or two as well. Thanks for the advice!

I personally don't think your peacock would blend in with a black background, maybe when you have the blue LEDs running, but not with your normal white lighting.

Just outta curiosity what made you go with plastic plants? I did the same when I started but I recently switched to live and couldn't be happier.

Batesy82, I was thinking of doing a frosted background. I couldn't find any I really liked in my budget. so when I went to petco today to get dog food I picked up a black background. And you're right it looks so much better and the fish don't blend in (which is what I was afraid of). so thanks for the tips!

More ricks will definitely make the tank freaking awesome!!! I just got a 55 and I'm debating weather to to an African cichlid tank or a terrarium.... Seeing your pics makes me jealous! Lol. :)

I know right! I'm always seeing them and I keep passing them up! I can picture the setup now.... I'll post some pics! Lol

updated cichlid tank

OK, so here is the updated tank. I added a few new rocks, a ceramic log, a black background and 3 fish. Everyone seems to be getting along good so far and the tank looks great. Oh yea, and the fish aren't camera shy either :D
the tank currently houses:
2 yellow labs
1 sunburst peacock
1 OB peacock
1 red tailed shark
new fish:
1 acei
1 taiwan reef hap
1 red peacock (he's not red yet)

Attachments

• DSC02556.jpg
    DSC02556.jpg