My new oscar is acting sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
I have to disagree here. A pH of 8.2 isn't too high at all. I wouldn't mess with it. He maybe reacting to it because he wasn't acclimated correctly to the tanks water conditions. There is nothing you can do about that now. He is probably use to the 8.2 by now. As I said I wouldn't mess with it. A stable pH is better than a fluctuating one.

Do you agree that he might have parasites? He hasn't eaten again today but I haven't been able to go to the LFS to buy him anything particularly tasty. And he does have long white stringy poop today. And what's your take on garlic? I've found conflicting information online. I'm having trouble with that all around. It seems that one person thinks things should be done one way and then the next website I look at says they should be done a different way... I don't know what to think.

Alyxx said:
Did you let the tap water sit overnight to gas out before you tested it? Put some in a cup or bucket overnight, with an air stone if you have one, so the buffers and softeners and other chemicals the water plant adds to evaporate out and let the water reach the pH it will be in your tank. Then test. He could be reacting to the high pH. If your grocery store carries RO water, get a few gallons and use it for your next pwc. Many stores have a machine in the front where you can buy it by the gallon and fill up the jugs yourself. Distilled water is an option as well if RO isn't available. Many LFS's offer RO or RO/DI water by the gallon as well. It lacks minerals and buffers and is a healthier way to reduce pH than adding buffers. I would do a normal 50% water change and replace maybe 5 gallons of the fill up water with RO the first day, and then do smaller 10-15% changes every day after that with RO until you can bring the pH down to around 7-7.5 and see if his condition improves. If it does, just keep using it for your water changes. You may want to look into saving up for your own RO unit if it does help, it will be cheaper in the long run. You can usually find prime on amazon or eBay at great prices, and it really is the best out there.

The water I tested had been sitting for at least 24 hours. Is it possible to do too many water changes? If the water going into the tank is a significantly different pH (7.6) than the water in the tank (8.2) will that create too much fluctuation if I do the water changes too often?

alli.knight said:
Do you agree that he might have parasites? He hasn't eaten again today but I haven't been able to go to the LFS to buy him anything particularly tasty. And he does have long white stringy poop today. And what's your take on garlic? I've found conflicting information online. I'm having trouble with that all around. It seems that one person thinks things should be done one way and then the next website I look at says they should be done a different way... I don't know what to think.

Long stringy poop can be a sign of many things not just internal parasites. Parasites, constipation, stress or even just the food being eaten. So it is a possibility.
http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com/2009/03/how-to-detect-fish-internal-parasites.html?m=1
This may help.

I've only just started using garlic to help medicate one of my goldfish. So far so good. He isn't fussed by the taste. He eats it though. I would definitely give it a try.

That's the problem with the Internet. So much conflicting information. I like to read as much info as I can and ask on here then take what I have heard the most and base my decision on that.

Alyxx said:
How's he doing?

Hey! I don't know. I had to go out of town for business and so my husband has been taking care of him. I don't think he's eaten in a couple days. I'm planning to pick up some ghost shrimp for him on my way home tonight. I don't want them to die right away (in case he doesn't eat them very quickly) so do I jut acclimate them the same way I would a fish? Just drip line for a couple hours? Of course, I hope he just eats them right away. My husband did say he was moving around more today. I can't decide if I should treat for parasites or not. There is so much conflicting information. Some people say to never medicate your fish cause it stresses them out more and others say to medicate them. And I couldn't really find anything that I thought was for sure what he had. Do you medicate your fish? What have you used? Can internal parasites be treated with raised temperature like you can treat ich?

Ok. This is what he looks like now. My husband says he has been hanging out in the plants all day. He seems to be struggling to swimming through the current from the filter. He still has white stringy poop. I didn't get back into town early enough to buy him different food. Is the best move now to add medicine to the water since he isn't eating? And I'm still uncertain what kind of medication I should get (brand, etc.) so if anyone has suggestions I would love it. He also shakes his tail when I'm looking at him. Is he going to die? I should have waited to name him :(

Attachments

• image-2734265758.jpg
    image-2734265758.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 65
Mumma.of.two said:
What country are you in? That dictates what medications are available.

Oh. That's true. USA. I thought I'd try jungle clear? It seems to be the most common one. I guess I don't know if it's available here. Do you have any other ideas?

alli.knight said:
Oh. That's true. USA. I thought I'd try jungle clear? It seems to be the most common one. I guess I don't know if it's available here. Do you have any other ideas?

This is from another thread. Jlk knows her meds! I'm in Australia and we have next to nothing available.
jlk said:
The best med for treating internal parasites is metronizadole-based food. Metro-meds or Jungles anti-parasitic food are two that are available in the US. Hope this helps!

Mumma.of.two said:
This is from another thread. Jlk knows her meds! I'm in Australia and we have next to nothing available.

Thank you so much. I'll see if I can find it in the morning. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
:) keep us posted!

Ok. I will. I recognize that I bought a sick fish but it's still really discouraging. I hope I can get him well. I'm really worried that he's going to die tonight. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Thanks for all the help :)

Ok. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread because I'm not sure what the rules are but I have more questions about my tank. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I need to worry that my tank/filter are infested with parasites or some other sickness? Since I don't have a fish any more is it safest to break the whole thing down and start over or is there something I can do to make sure a new fish won't catch what this fish had? You guys are the best.

alli.knight said:
Ok. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread because I'm not sure what the rules are but I have more questions about my tank. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I need to worry that my tank/filter are infested with parasites or some other sickness? Since I don't have a fish any more is it safest to break the whole thing down and start over or is there something I can do to make sure a new fish won't catch what this fish had? You guys are the best.

I'm really sorry to hear that he didn't make it. I think it would be easier to break down the tank, scrub everything with hot water and maybe a weak bleach solution, and let it all air dry before you start again. A day in the sun and a rinse afterwards will take care of any bleach residue. Don't forget to do the same for the filter housing, and replace the media. Then start up the cycle again. You may want to invest in a small qt tank to avoid having to do all this again for your main tank. I would recommend picking up a few medications in the meantime to have them on hand in case you need them with future fish. I recommend melafix for torn fins, fin rot, and wounds and paraguard for external parasites like ich. I have used jungle's fungus clear with much success for a massive fungal infection. I've never used any fish antibiotics but I am sure others on here can recommend something . Thankfully I have never needed any, but I have heard good things about Marycin 1 and 2.

Alyxx said:
I'm really sorry to hear that he didn't make it. I think it would be easier to break down the tank, scrub everything with hot water and maybe a weak bleach solution, and let it all air dry before you start again. A day in the sun and a rinse afterwards will take care of any bleach residue. Don't forget to do the same for the filter housing, and replace the media. Then start up the cycle again. You may want to invest in a small qt tank to avoid having to do all this again for your main tank. I would recommend picking up a few medications in the meantime to have them on hand in case you need them with future fish. I recommend melafix for torn fins, fin rot, and wounds and paraguard for external parasites like ich. I have used jungle's fungus clear with much success for a massive fungal infection. I've never used any fish antibiotics but I am sure others on here can recommend something . Thankfully I have never needed any, but I have heard good things about Marycin 1 and 2.

Hmm... That's what I was afraid of. I'd never thought about quarantining a fish that was going into a tank by itself but now I definitely see why it's a good idea. And I will definitely pick up some meds before I get another Oscar. I think I'm going to try a different LFS too. Oh and I found out that the rock I had in the tank was raising the ph to 8.2. Without the rock in the tank, my pH is around 7.2. Mystery solved. Now I just need to get something else to decorate my tank. Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Well at least that is one mystery solved. Trying another LFS might be a good idea. Ask them how long they quarantine their new additions and if the fish you are looking at has been eating. A good shop will have no problems answering questions like that. If they say they don't qt, just keep a closer eye on it in your qt tank. Also find out if they have a guarantee on live fish and how long it is if they have one. Picking up a "first aid kit" of meds before you try another fish will let you start to treat sooner if you see it is sick.

Back
Top Bottom