My Oscar fin is not growing back....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvaughn510

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys.. I have two Oscar fish Carl and Lenny one is black the other is white like the simpsons. anyways about 8 to 9 months ago i moved my fish tank back home from college and got a new 75 gal tank to put them in. i made a mistake and put in alge killing chemical than the safe coat.. and put my fish in the new tank. i quickly saw the mistake and took them out and put them in the old tank that still had water in... which saved them. both had tail fin damage. Carl the black one fin grew back and is great but lenny the white one tail fin is still not growing back after 9 months. So i was woundering if his fin will grow back. Now that i will be home more i take care of my tank alot more and just did a water test and the pH was 7.8 and everything else was 0. what more can i do to help lenny grow his fin back. i would say that has a inch by inch gap. does not effect is swimming and his is a good 10 in or so. So if you can tell me what i need to do to help his fin grow but and how much longer intill his fin grows back...

I don't know specifically about oscars when it comes to growing fins back. But, I do know with bettas, that when you deal with ripped fins or a disease getting them, there is always a chance they will not grow back. It's small chance they won't grow back in, but it is still there. I have personally seen 100% healthy and happy bettas that for separate reasons lost parts of their fins and they never grew back.

Sorry I can't tell you for sure, but maybe this will help? If you have had perfect water the entire duration and have been giving them a good diet, I would guess it's one of those times where it doesn't fill back in.

Keep taking good care of your fish! Honestly, after 9 months, if it hasnt grown back, its most likely not going to return. As long as he happy, active, & healthy, i wouldnt worry too much about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom