My other question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfoofoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep reading more and more about people who breed fish, propagate corals, etc... My question is, when you have successfully bred these fish what do you do with the offspring? Sell them to the lfs? Obviously, if you breed often and successfully, you would not have room for all the fish. Am I missing something?

Many breeders who are not breeding for the sole intent of profit will often sell to lfs' and various locals. Those for the sole intent of breeding for profit will cater their merchandise towards distributor/wholesale businesses in bulk quantities.

The offspring are generally sold to LFS, on forums and on websites.

Prior to breeding, of course, the breeder would have to have an adequate number of tanks to separate fry from larger individuals who would gladly snack on the little ones. Propagating corals is a lot easier to manage for the fact they don't swim around (unless unfooted and caught in a current) and they can grow in the same enclosures as the adults (unlike most fish).

Back
Top Bottom