My schooling fish are cuttin' class! :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmer32

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently bought 6 x Black Phantom Tetras, with the idea of them being one of my schooling fish.

I love the look of them, but you hardly see them! :(

They come out for food, but normally spend most of their time in the darkness or hiding, especially one in particular.

They occassionally come out and hang around, but not often at all and I'm disappointed.

I've since learned that they are all females. I don't really like the look of the males, but would one bring them out of their shells so they would be more social?

On the other hand, I also have 6 x Zebre Danios, and these fellas are fantastic schooling fish, they're very playful and great to watch them frolic about. :D

How long have they been in the tank? It can take several days for fish to become comfortable with their new surroundings.

How long have they been in the tank?

Its possible they just don't feel safe yet or the danios are to active for them.

They may start to feel more comfortable after a couple of weeks and be the fish you hoped they were.

Cheers.

Not long at all really.

I'm just starting to stock my tank (fully cycled) and thought I was taking things slowly.

Bought those 6 on Friday
Bought 6 Zebra Danios on Saturday
Bought 3 x Pearl Gouramis on Sunday.

I thought if I gave them a day inbetween a new lot of fish, may have eased the stress of a new environment.

You might be right though, as they do seem a little quieter since the introduction of the Danios - and they do dart about alot.

Would feeding them a little less, but a little more frequently help to make them feel a little more comfortable in coming out? Or should I maintain my regular feeding routine?

Shoaling fish will not school unless they feel threatened. If you do not have an environment that is making them feel uneasy they may not school at all. I have beacon tetras and they never school, my neons and my rasboras do school usually though. In the wild schooling is usually to make them look bigger/unappetizing to the predator.

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Shoaling fish will not school unless they feel threatened. If you do not have an environment that is making them feel uneasy they may not school at all. I have beacon tetras and they never school, my neons and my rasboras do school usually though. In the wild schooling is usually to make them look bigger/unappetizing to the predator.

-Pleco

Well that's a good and a bad thing isn't it then, coz I don't really want to scare them into schooling.

On the other hand, I've read that Tiger Barbs can be a little aggresive.

Do you think the introduction of a couple may be a good thing?

What size tank? A couple tiger barbs will only lead to aggression. Tiger barbs need to be in larger groups than 2 or 3. I have 8 in my 55G, and it's just about right. I'd like to get 6-8 more. The more tiger barbs in the tank, the less aggression towards others.

I have a 175 litre, which I think is about a 47g tank.

With 6 Tetras, 6 Danios, 3 Gouramis, and a Bristlenose Plec, won't 6 Tiger Barbs be too much for the tank?

I do like them though.

I've got 7 rasboras and they only schooled the first week they were in the tank. It kinda sucks ... now they just hang out anywhere. I've got a gourami that seems to nip at everybody but the rasboras.

That's interesting.

I guess I'm yet to see the true nature/personalities of the fish I have at the mo.

Harlequin Rasboras are nice. Is that what you have?

Edit - spelling again!

FWIW, I saw you want active schoolers, but glass cats school constantly. they are attached at the gills practically.

They are actually quite active, constantly swimming in place like they are on a treadmill. and they go apey at feeding time. You'd never know they can move so fast.

and they are pretty and interesting fish. Mine are actually iridescent in the right lighting.

Indeed. They're a nice looking fish.

I don't think I've seen them at any of my LFS.

Besides, I have two sets of schooling *cough* fish already, and it's my understanding that's all your meant to have.

Swimmer32 said:
That's interesting.

I guess I'm yet to see the true nature/personalities of the fish I have at the mo.

Harlequin Rasboras are nice. Is that what you have?

Edit - spelling again!

Yeah, Harlequin Rasboras. A planted tank just doesn't look right to me without some rasboras or tetras.

Back
Top Bottom