My tap water has ammonia in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloud9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I've been cycling my tank with a few fish I had. I used Tetra Safe Start the first time but then I upgraded my filter. A lot of the bacteria was on the old filter so I readded TSS. I added something like 75 gallons worth in my 30 gallon. I added it again on Friday.

Okay so I've been minimally feeding my fish, water is crystal clear, everything seems fine, but when I tested the water last night with API, the ammonia seemed really high. I was shocked though because there should be so much bacteria in the tank! I then decided to test the tap water and boom, the tap water had the same reading. Something like 2.0 ppm. Although most of the fish seem healthy and the water is fine :\

Either the API test kit is wrong or my water will continually have ammonia in it, I don't know. I guess if the bacteria are really there and changing the ammonia then I have nothing to worry about? Or should I just start using bottled water to do water changes from now on?

I don't know if I should just let the tank sit like that and let the TSS run the course (TSS says 14 days w/o water change) or if I should change the water and add an ammonia neutralizer or something. I don't know but I just don't want to lose any of the fish.

Mine is the same way. I use prime when I change the water and it has been working. But, I did a fish less cycle first. Not sure how it would work with a fish in cycle. But I would get the prime and use that

Prime like water conditioner? Can you tell me which brand/type you use? Thanks :)

As an edit, I use Tetra AquaSafe deconditions and dechlorinates but I don't think it deals with the ammonia adequately.

Back
Top Bottom