My water parameters need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie66151

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had my water tested today and here is what the lady gave me. Ammonia 0, nitrate 10, nitrite 5.0, alkalinity 90, pH 6.5 does this sound bad to you? I'm thinking the nitrates and nitrites are something to be very worried about. But my fish seem happy

Sent from my RCT6691W3 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My chlorine is also a 0

Nitrite in many ways is more dangerous to fish than ammonia.

Your tank is not completely cycled if your seeing nitrite.

I would perform a partial water change of around 20% to reduce the stress on your fish. Test everyday and repeat the water changes when you detect nitrite.

When you stop detecting nitrite for 48 hours. After which preform weekly testing and do PWCs when nitrate is around 20-40 ppm depending on how over stocked your tank is and the size. More fish, smaller tank preform at 20ppm since they will build up faster.

Your ph is fine for most fish except say African cichlids and some other fish that prefer harder water. Most live bearers and tetras will love a 6.5 ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also would purchase your own water testing kit. liquid not strips they are more accurate, run about 30 usd at most pet stores.

That's what I have mollies and neon tetras

I have a 30 gallon tank, I have 9 neon tetras, and 6 mollies and a guppy and a suckerfish. I don't think it's over crowded what do you think?

If the sucker fish is a large species pleco you might be when its starts growing.

The rest of your stocking seems fine.

If a crown or zebra pleco or something in a similar size range should be fine with him as well.

IMO at 5.0 nitrite fish would be dead or in great distress. Lots of water changes and keep a handle on testing till the tank cycles.

Caleb

Add a double dose of Prime and then start doing water changes.

How long has the tank been running? That much nitrite indicates a seriously overstocked, un cycled tank. Nitrite can be detrimental to fish.. not necessarily immediately but long term.. lots of wc's to.keep the toxins down. Tell us all.about the tank please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long has the tank been running? That much nitrite indicates a seriously overstocked, un cycled tank. Nitrite can be detrimental to fish.. not necessarily immediately but long term.. lots of wc's to.keep the toxins down. Tell us all.about the tank please.

+1 I would work on doing at least 2 50% water changes daily until the nitrite is down to 0.25ppm

I'd have to agree with what people are saying about the daily WCs of atleast 30% or more. I had this very same problem because I was ill informed and put fish into my 30g tank before it cycled at all because the guy at the LFS said it would be ok as long as I used API quick start. Well first my ammonia levels were through the roof and then my nitrites were at 10 ppm. I am actually quite shocked I didn't lose any fish from this but I literally did 50% WCS daily or every other day if i had to work and it took about a week and a half until they came down to 0. I also used Prime to help save my fish as well since it binds up ammonia and nitrites for 24 hrs or so. The advice I got from this site helped me save my fish and get my levels down. The good news for you is since it's nitrites that are high your cycle is almost complete you just have to keep doing the WCs until it stabilizes and the nitrite is gone.

I've been using Fluval Biological Enhancer. It removes Nitrites and Ammonia in the water while building Nitrates if done daily. Just make sure you shake the bottle before using. Once tank becomes stable then add it after every water change.

I've been using Fluval Biological Enhancer. It removes Nitrites and Ammonia in the water while building Nitrates if done daily. Just make sure you shake the bottle before using. Once tank becomes stable then add it after every water change.

No..just nooo

I've had the tank a month or so now, I do water changes twice a week and to my knowledge I don't think it's overstocked and my tank is very clean. My fish seem happy I've had no problems but a small case of ich. And I treated it with super ick cure and turned my heater up to 86 just dropped my heat to 82 today. I have well water but I don't see how that would mess with the nitrates. My water is pretty good sometimes have trace amounts of rust but nothing bad.do you think my tank is overstocked? And that might be my problem?

And my water looks great clear and clean I'm at a loss here! My tank was given to me by a friend I have a bio wheel that is old which I've read that that will help with cycling. I'm thinking of changing my carbon filter will that help?

And my water looks great clear and clean I'm at a loss here! My tank was given to me by a friend I have a bio wheel that is old which I've read that that will help with cycling. I'm thinking of changing my carbon filter will that help?

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates at?

I'm gonna go do a 30% water change now

Back
Top Bottom