Mystery fish from feeder gup tank @ lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarchic11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i went in 2 get more feeder guppies for my breeding project (creating my own line of fancy guppies from wild type feeders) and saw this guy/girl in the guppy tank. Im a regular and they were busy so the owner handed me the net and said grab however many you want so i made sure i got this one... what is it?? Its big... about the size of my largest female guppy... any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130124_165200.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_165200.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 115
How big exactly? The picture doesn't show very well the fins so it is a bit hard:S

About an inch long... i think it has a gono- thing... cant remember the word... its in my qt tank which is due for a cleaning so ill clean the tank and try for a better pic...

So i went in 2 get more feeder guppies for my breeding project (creating my own line of fancy guppies from wild type feeders) and saw this guy/girl in the guppy tank. Im a regular and they were busy so the owner handed me the net and said grab however many you want so i made sure i got this one... what is it?? Its big... about the size of my largest female guppy... any help is appreciated.

Looks like a platy. My lfs has them all in the feeder tanks.

There's a chance it's a Molly guppy crossbreed that didn't have much color

Sometimes they take in crossbreeds and sometimes use the less colorful ones as feeders

They have platy tho... in a different tank... maybe he got in there by accident... if it is will he breed with my female guppies?? If it is a male...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130124_172747.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_172747.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 108
Ok... looks kinda like a wild type platy... either way it was 8 for a dollar with the feeders so no loss... just a new, neat fish...

I agree with this, although I may be corrected. Molly's, swords, and platys can cross breed, but not these with guppys, although males will definitely try

Molly's cannot breed with plAties or swordtails. They can breed with guppies and plAties can breed with swordtails but that's it

No platy guppies
No mollie platy
No sword guppies
No sword mollie

A platy breeds with a swordtail if so desired
A mollie breeds with a guppy if so desired

Two different groups of fish

k cool... maybe ill get more platys 2 keep him company... he seems happy 2 just chill out with the guppies atm... most of the guppies are alot amaller than him. thanks for the info!

55g community with guppies, 2 comets, 4 kuhli loaches, 2 cory cats, and aa banjo cat...

55g community with guppies, 2 comets, 4 kuhli loaches, 2 cory cats, and aa banjo cat...
I would not put 2 comets in a 55 gallon tank. Thats really not enough. They will get stunded, or eat the other fish.
You would need at least a pond of 200-400gallons, or a 120gallon vertical tank for you're comets to see them grow to they're full potential:)

the only reason the comets are still alive is 1 came with just 1 eye as a 1 inch feeder... i dont like comets or any goldfish as a rule... and a 55 is planty big for 2 3 inch comets... ive had them grow to a foot+ in smaller tanks... and the minimum size is 30g or 1 fish, so 45-50g is fine for 2... and much better than the 1g bowls 90% of ppl keep them in...

the only reason the comets are still alive is 1 came with just 1 eye as a 1 inch feeder... i dont like comets or any goldfish as a rule... and a 55 is planty big for 2 3 inch comets... ive had them grow to a foot+ in smaller tanks... and the minimum size is 30g or 1 fish, so 45-50g is fine for 2... and much better than the 1g bowls 90% of ppl keep them in...
Actually, it is 30 gallons for fancy. If you ask an expert, he would tell you comets need over 120 gallons. They need a lot of space to swim. Until he gets around 10 inches, it is fine, but i would really recommend a pond:L

2 be honest ive debated throwing them out my window... euthenasia by freezing cold air... they are pigs and eat my guppy fry... like i said, i dont like them very much, but they are now 2 big for use as feeders i think... although i do know someone with 2 turtles... they would def love 2 fat comets...

2 be honest ive debated throwing them out my window... euthenasia by freezing cold air... they are pigs and eat my guppy fry... like i said, i dont like them very much, but they are now 2 big for use as feeders i think... although i do know someone with 2 turtles... they would def love 2 fat comets...
I don't like goldfish personally. They aren't very pretty. The only thing that you can make someone really impressed is when you grow it to around 12''+, they will be amazed.

Back
Top Bottom