Mystery Snail Genders.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just to clear up any confusion about the fact that mystery snails are not hermaphrodites.

I'll let the pic speak for itself. ;D

Attachments

• P4220865.jpg
    P4220865.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 119
That is not what u think t is. It's actually a "nose". I've seen mine go to the surface, stick it's "nose" up out of the water, and breathe

Oh it's their snorkel! Look inside the shell, if it's a boy the penis is on the opposite side from the snorkel.

Lol! I think snails don't have genders... I'll research and tell you what I find.

Well it wasn't a joke..

You can't lump snails into one category. Apple/mystery snails have genders, as I said the male has a penis on the opposite side of his snorkel.

Check applesnail.net.

Haha, yeah, trust me, it wasn't a joke, and it is his...bit. :p He and my other mystery snail were just mating right before that.

Malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails, and ramshorn snails don't have genders.

Nerite snails and apple snails do.

These are the snails I keep and know about.

Mmhmm! =D It's actually pretty awesome. Can't believe I got a male and female by accident!

How long have you had them? Mine do it all the time but I never see eggs.

How long have you had them? Mine do it all the time but I never see eggs.

I've seen eggs but they haven't reproduced. I've had them for a couple months but I don't think they can actually reproduce in freshwater. I'm not exactly sure. When we do see eggs, though, we always wipe them off.

Yes, they are FW only. So you have seen egg clutches above the water line? Cool..I haven't yet. I'm hoping for some babies :)

Honestly, even if we did get babies, we might squish them on accident, because we have a pond snail infestation from our plants and squish them on sight.

Back
Top Bottom