Mystery Snail Health Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aceraso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got 2 ghost mystery snails at Petsmart a couple of Months ago in GA. They did just fine there, they ate spinach when I gave it to them, their shells were healthy, they were basically thriving.

Now I've taken them with me to PA and everything is going wrong.

They refuse to eat anything but tetra fish food, their shells are deteriorating and one snail's shell is turning black, they are listless and only hang out at the edge of the water and breathe all day, and nothing I do seems to be helping them.

One of them escaped the tank, fell, and got a hole in it's shell that won't heal, I try and feed them spinach but they won't eat it, I've added calcium to the water and used a metal detoxifier to see if the water here is causing the issues, I change the water partially to completely every few days because I have never seen the tank get so dirty so fast, and I'm at my whits end. I don't want them to suffer and die but I don't know what else to do.

I currently do not know the PH but am trying to get my hands on some test strips to figure it out. And I have no idea how to check the calcium levels.

Any help will be super appreciated. Thanks everyone.

I now have my water information.

0 Nitrates
Very Hard Water
0 Chlorine
0 Alkaline
pH is approx. 6.8

UPDATE:

After lowering the water quite a bit one of the snails laid a clutch of eggs.

Good to see they are doing better! The 0 nitrates is off though unless it's a planted tank or you just did a water change.

Caleb

Good to see they are doing better! The 0 nitrates is off though unless it's a planted tank or you just did a water change.

Caleb
Well, I don't know if the egg laying means they're doing better. They still seem listless and won't eat the food i give them besides the tetra flakes which I'm sure shouldnt be the only thing they eat.

Does it mean they're doing ok if they lay their eggs? I've seen some ppl say this is a sign that I've put them in a good habitat, but I'm still skeptical because their shells are still messed up, and you'd think with such hard water they'd have no lack of calcium, not to mention the calcium suppliments I give them. But the one that layed the eggs? That's the one that escaped and got a hole in their shell and it still won't heal. So I'm still not sure how to help them.

Back
Top Bottom