mystery snail mysterious death??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnj0627

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We've had our mystery snails about 2 months now we originally had 4. 2 in our 55 gallon and two In our ten gallon but within a couple weeks we put the two in the 55 in the 10 to help with algae control so we had 4 in our ten gallon tank. About a week after that one of the snails got stuck between these little rocks in the tank and died I'm assuming because of lack of air. :( So the other three have been living just fine. No problems at all...until yesterday. Now before I go any further I'll let you know that the water parameters are pretty much perfect ammonia 0 trite 0 trate 10-20 Ph 7.6 tempature steady between 76-80 everything seems to be just fine. But yesterday we noticed our male mystery snail laying dead on the bottom of the tank we were not really sure if he was dead but when we went to feed the fish back there tonight he was in the same spot we picked him up and sure enough he was dead. Him and one of the females have been breeding almost non stop for a couple weeks now I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She is absolutely fine we even have snail eggs now. :) my question is how did he die??? Or any guess why. All answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are 100% that they died? Mystery snails sometimes go days or even weeks without moving. They bob on the surface of the water for days and you think for sure they are dead then one day snap out of it and crawl away.
When they die they STINK! There foot gets loose, they don't respond to you poking them (gently!) and they can fall out of the shell.
Sometimes they don't respond well to parameter changes, especially the larger/older ones. Make sure they get acclimated properly to new tanks. It may have just died of old age.

Well he was actually really small and when we took him put the smell was terrible and he was just hanging out of the shell. So we know he was dead just no idea why :(

Back
Top Bottom