Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've kept Mystery Snails in the past. Most recently, I had on in my five gallon tank for about 5 months. The 5 gallon is a heated, filtered Betta tank and the snails only other tank mates were one crown-tail Betta and a few shrimp. The snail did amazing... He cruised around the tank and kept what little algae that did grow at bay. I fed tropical flakes once a day, did algae wafers three times a week, and once a week I put a piece of blanched collard green in there, which the snail loved. I also constantly had a small, pea sized piece of vacation feeder in there as a calcium supplement.

In the five months, the snail went from the size of a dime, to the size of a half dollar. His shell was thick, crack free, and had a great color.

I maintained pristine water quality...(That being no ammonia, no nitrites, and less than 10-20 ppms of nitrates. I use the freshwater masterkit) I do about 50% every week. I only change my filter pads when they start falling apart. In the five months that I had that snail, I had yet to even change the filter out.

One day... I noticed that he was in the same spot as the day before, and the day before that. I know that they go through "slow periods" so I picked him up to make sure he was okay... And he didn't move. Even when I gently touched his plate, he didn't pull it back in. In fact... It slid out a little. So he was definitely dead.

Ive had customers who describe a similar situation, too, and I never really know what to tell them, except that I had a similar experience.

Now here is the real question... Do snails just up and die for no reason? Do they just have that short of a life span? I don't really know much about snails, so please enlighten me.

In warmer temperatures, they do have a shorter lifespan--12-18 months. Depending on how old he was when you got him, it's possible he could have been at the end of it, but not my first instinct with the sizes you listed. Other than that, he could have been weak stock, or your betta could have been bothering him enough to stress him out that bad.

Back
Top Bottom