Name that plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I received these two plants in an RAOK deal and have no idea what they are. The first one grows tall and thin and must be easy to grow because I received a lot of it. The second one was only a three inch piece but has doubled in size in the last month. Would love to know what they are so I can figure out were to plant them in my tank.

Attachments

• unknownplant1.jpg
    unknownplant1.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 110
  • unknownplant1.2.jpg
    unknownplant1.2.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 107
  • unknownplant2.2.jpg
    unknownplant2.2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 105
Number 3 is Hydrotriche hottoniiflora. I have it in the 220g and it grows like a weed.

Thanks everyone. The first plant isn't moneywort. I have that and this one is nothing like it. It doesn't get more than a fourth inch thick and has thin leaves.
I have gotten it in two different ROAK buys so I assume it grows well for most people. It is taking its time in my tank though.

I am still trying to identify the plant in the first two photos. I checked out the Canadian pong weed and that wasn't it. I did get some of that in this plant package. The plant in my photo gets a slight red tint to the top leaves. The leaves are less than a fourth inch long and slightly oval shaped. I am going to try and get closer pictures of the leaves with something for size comparison. I erased the pm from the person I got it from in an RAOK auction. Anymore ideas?

I agree. It looks exactly like my moneywort. Keep in mind plants grown in different conditions can look very different.

Hemianthus micranthemoides seems like a better guess than a bacopa sp. The leaves are much to narrow.

Here are some more photos. The first one is the unknown plant beside a piece of moneywort (bacopa monneri). It is very obviously not that. I included a close up of the plant and a photo of it growing in my tank. Seems strange that no one can identify it. I am going to post a photo on theplantedtank.net were I bought it from and see if someone there knows. If I get any answers there I will let you guys know.

Attachments

• unknownwithmoneywort (2).jpg
    unknownwithmoneywort (2).jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 78
  • closeupofunknown (2).jpg
    closeupofunknown (2).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 57
  • unknownplantintank (2).jpg
    unknownplantintank (2).jpg
    223 KB · Views: 66
I did look up H. micranthemoides but that plant is a low growing one and this is on is tall. The leave placement and shape are also different. I posted a thread on planted tank and I am hoping that the person that sold it to me will see it and reply.

I was planning on putting my extra in the classifieds when I got done planting my tanks. I got a bunch of it. The person was nice enough to send me a mixed bunch of 9 plants. Some of them were hard to get plants not often found. I am hoping to propagate them and sale some to support my growing aquarium addiction. LOL Hard to believe what buying a couple of fish to keep my spoiled cat entertained started.

I was planning on putting my extra in the classifieds when I got done planting my tanks. I got a bunch of it. The person was nice enough to send me a mixed bunch of 9 plants. Some of them were hard to get plants not often found. I am hoping to propagate them and sale some to support my growing aquarium addiction. LOL Hard to believe what buying a couple of fish to keep my spoiled cat entertained started.

I started with one male betta.
Then got a 20g, 2x 10g, and two betta bowls for different bettas. Lol
And the male betta I had just passed two days ago=(

The plant I am trying to identify is on the left. The one behind the time stamp, on the right, is moneywort. Over on planted tank I have had the same suggestions for names as on here. It has only been in my tank a month and only planted in the substrate a couple of weeks. Maybe after it has been in the tank for awhile I can get another photo to better identify it.

iSDs5CR.jpg

This guy??

I agree with AquaChem that it is Hemianthus micranthemoides. It's leaves grow in 3 or 4 leaf whorls which is what I'm seeing in the picture and it grows long and ugly without repeated trimming to make it bushy. Amount of light also changes it growth the higher the light the more compact and bushy, the lower the light the longer and weedy it looks. I had it in the 220 for a time. Some in low light shadow of DW and a little getting light from the metal halides and other than leaf shape they looked like different plants. I didn't like it either way and got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom