Nano-cube: bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WackyInsertions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw this little 12 gallon nano-cube yesterday at my lfs, and I'm curious if anyone has any comments about them? To date, I've always stuck with fw because I live in a cramped apartment and can get by with "smaller" tanks, but this size would be great. Basically, all I've ever wanted was a true percula and a shrimp (and an anemone, but I hear they don't do well in any aquariums, even with expert care :-(). With some liverock and livesand, would these do alright in that small of an aquarium?

Some extra considerations: (1). I don't have central heating/air, so the temperature in here is fairly inconsistent; my 30 and 20long fluctuate about +-4 degrees or so over a period of about 8 hours, so the 12 gallon might feel the effects a bit more.

(2). I've never done a sw tank before

(3). The nano-cube has a built-in filter for circulation and if it breaks, I think I'm just boned on that.

Don't be afraid to tell me that given my situation, I shouldn't go the sw route; I'd rather have people be honest than make some fish suffer. And if all else fails, I'll set up a serious sw tank when I graduate and (hopefully) have a house :).

Thanks.

Hey Wacky,

I happen to love the JBJ nano cubes. I also think that for what you are wanting as long as you are diligent with maintenence you will have no problems with this as a first SW tank. Granted larger saltwater tanks are easier to maintain. Things to consider:

1 - JBJ's have accasionally been known to have ballast issues with the light, though I believe the problem has been corrected.

2 - You aren't "boned" if the filter breaks as it is not a true filter. It is more of a baffles system with filter media and a small powerhead circulating the water. If the pump fails it is a $10 fix.

3 - If cycled properly and with 10 to 15 lbs of LR and decent amount of sand with only one percula no filter media is neccisary. I only run a bag of carbon.

4 - Once you get the Parameters maintained and maintenence down. Soft corals are easy to maintain in a nano.

Go for it. Just do you research and stay on top of it. But as warning don't be suprised if SW tanks start to rule your life.

R-

sumphead said:
2 - You aren't "boned" if the filter breaks as it is not a true filter. It is more of a baffles system with filter media and a small powerhead circulating the water. If the pump fails it is a $10 fix.
Ahh, I see; I was thinking it was a sort of irreplacable built-in sort of thing, like in those tiny freshwater setups you see for $15.

sumphead said:
4 - Once you get the Parameters maintained and maintenence down. Soft corals are easy to maintain in a nano.

I really don't want to bother with corals in such a small aquarium; this won't be an issue, will it?

Also, about the temperature issue, will this be a problem?

Thanks for the help :).

I have the older version and no fans. I run the light 11 hours a day and there is a 2 degree drop overnight. No problems at all. I run no heater at all. Housed inside is a large toadstool leather, anthelia, and a couple of shrooms. As for other livestock, I have one marron goldstripe clown and a 4 1/2" mantis shrimp. :twisted: Of course there is no problem with not having corals, but simple softies are a breeze to care for.

R-

Back
Top Bottom