Native species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of native fish are you interested in? I've done several varieties, and I know that several others on this forum have as well.

Not really sure I live in Virginia I was going to Mabye go to the river and set my minnow trap and see what I come up with. I will do some research on them before I put any in the tank. Going to be using a 38gallon

Jetajockey is the ultimate native fish expert. He sent me pygmy sunfish and least killifish. Both are really cool and easy to keep. The sunfish are picky and usually only accept live or frozen foods such as daphnia, brine shrimp and bloodworms. The least killifish are not picky and will eat plain flakes.

I wanted to keep fish out of the creek behind my house but I dont know if I could.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I do collect and keep several natives.

GodFan you need to check with your state fish and wildlife commission to find out if it's legal to collect fish, in many states it is, but in some it isn't.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I do collect and keep several natives.

GodFan you need to check with your state fish and wildlife commission to find out if it's legal to collect fish, in many states it is, but in some it isn't.
Ok. If I told you what they look like could you give me a tentative ID? By PM so as not to hijack :)
I think the idea of a native species tank is really cool. We all go nuts for tropical fish when we have some really really cool fish in our backyard!

I like keeping native fish because they are not GMed beyond ugly like glofish... LOL
I also like keeping natives because it doesn't support the selling of captive bred fsh. Native fish also seen to gave a lot more personality!

Yeah well I guess you would say I'm a country boy that's why I wanted to try native. I m going to try to get a minnow like species that way they don't outgrow my tank

As jetta said, just make sure that collection and keeping is legal in your state. Another source that you may want to consider is a live bait shop.

Back
Top Bottom