Nearly ready to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MattJ said:
Boots also sell some which people have said is fine for fishless cycling (again, just a quick google search)

I think Im gonna go with the homebase ammonia I have already, boots is quite far away from where I live, if the homebase one is no good I'll beat myself up about it at a later date lol.

Chris22 said:
I think Im gonna go with the homebase ammonia I have already, boots is quite far away from where I live, if the homebase one is no good I'll beat myself up about it at a later date lol.

I did a bit of looking around on Google myself, and it seems to me there may be 2 formulas for that brand. Some people say it foams and doesn't work, and others say theirs doesn't foam and works perfectly. In this case, maybe the shake test is your best bet. If there aren't suds...you should be good to go.

eco23 said:
I did a bit of looking around on Google myself, and it seems to me there may be 2 formulas for that brand. Some people say it foams and doesn't work, and others say theirs doesn't foam and works perfectly. In this case, maybe the shake test is your best bet. If there aren't suds...you should be good to go.

Wow really, thank you, I was looking on the forums about it, the most recent one I found was January this year and they said it worked fine, gonna do the foam test again now in a clear bottle, test my waters before I start then get your cycling post up and get started :D

Chris22 said:
Wow really, thank you, I was looking on the forums about it, the most recent one I found was January this year and they said it worked fine, gonna do the foam test again now in a clear bottle, test my waters before I start then get your cycling post up and get started :D

Good luck! Don't be afraid to post any questions you come across. I might have mentioned it already, but the guide thread in my signature is a revised and updated one, I don't think they've gotten around to switching the one in the articles section yet. Let us know if we can be of any help :)

eco23 said:
Good luck! Don't be afraid to post any questions you come across. I might have mentioned it already, but the guide thread in my signature is a revised and updated one, I don't think they've gotten around to switching the one in the articles section yet. Let us know if we can be of any help :)

Ok thank you. Every1 has been great. :)

Forgot to say earlier - I used the Boots Ammonia successfully.

Good luck!

Cool, i (in UK also) went to my local Boots but they did not have any ammonia in stock so I got Jeyes Kleen off from a little shop down the road quite lucky really as i live in middle of no where

Took me a while (See seperate thread) but it's worth it and I got my first fish today who look very happy indeed!

Awesome news Mattj! Bet ur just as happy as the fish! I have another 3 weeks to go (hopefully cycled by then) so i get me fishies on my birthday.. Im V impatient at the moment

I was impatient but then soon got over it and let the tank do its stuff!!

Only grumble is the fish keep hiding from me !!!

MattJ said:
Forgot to say earlier - I used the Boots Ammonia successfully.

Good luck!

Thank you, if this ammonia don't do the trick I'll pop down to boots when I can.

MattJ said:
I was impatient but then soon got over it and let the tank do its stuff!!

Only grumble is the fish keep hiding from me !!!

I'm jealous of you jus because u got fish lol hopefully I won't have to wait too long. U got any pics of your tank??

Added ammonia about 8pm 5ml to start with, tested for ammonia at 11:15pm and got a reading of I'd say between 4-8 ppm but more on the 4.0 side. Hopefully see something happening over next few days. :)

I wanted to try hide the heater and filter as best as possible and it seemed to work!

Tank was free, decor was free and heater/filter was free so can't complain!!

It's my first ever tank so no doubt others will have suggestions or would have done things differently but without AA I would have struggled!!

MattJ said:
I wanted to try hide the heater and filter as best as possible and it seemed to work!

Tank was free, decor was free and heater/filter was free so can't complain!!

It's my first ever tank so no doubt others will have suggestions or would have done things differently but without AA I would have struggled!!

Yeah u done a good job I'm gonna try hide mine jus gotta figure out how lol, this is only my second tank so I'm still new to all this 2. Thank god for AA

So started my cycle now, I tested my eaters before I added any ammonia and got
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
So added 5ml of ammonia which was probably a little too much but it was my first time so I forgave myself lol, tested for ammo 20mins later and got 4-6ppm. I left it for a few days to hopefully let the magic happen, tested 4days after adding the ammo and got this
Ammo 2.0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm :D
nitrate 20-40ppm
So since then I've been 'trying' to test everyday
Day 5 got
Ammo 1-2ppm
Nitrite 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Day 7
Ammo 1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm :O
Nitrate 80ppm
Day 9
Ammo 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Day 10
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
On day 11 I done a 20% water change which didn't do anything and added 3ml of ammonia, tested about an hour later and got
Ammo 2-4ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Day 12
Ammo 1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Didn't test nitrate
Day 13 I done a 80% water change to try get the nitrite down to .5-1 tested the water 30mins after and got
Ammo 0.25ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
I was advised to top the ammonia up to 1.0ppm only to try let the nitrite catch up so that's what I done.
Day 14
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Topped ammo up to 1.0ppm
Day 15
Ammo 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Day 16 (today)
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Topped ammo bk up to 1.0ppm and test again tomorrow, hopefully start seeing these nitrites go down soon :)

Back
Top Bottom