Need a cool fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcupell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend insists on only buying boring fish for his new tank citing that he's building a community tank and what not. All of his excuses are bad arguments, but he refuses to get something cool. His girlfriend and me (his roommate) want something cool to look at instead of ottos and tetras. Does anyone have an idea of a fish that would fit in a 20 gallon tank? His girlfriend really wants a pufferfish, but anything that is colorful or fun to watch would be a huge upgrade. It's got lots of plants, if that helps. Please help my friend because I fear that his girlfriend may leave him if he doesn't man up and get an interesting fish. Help a brotha out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow [moderator edit] shed leave him wow

Part of me says yeah go ahead let him do what he wants
But a good fish would be electric blue chiclid
Problem is he would eat the smaller fish so well what I've found out is
Recently I had lots of tetra lots and they got ick and so I tryed a home remidy salt and heat problem is I put to much salt in and they were fine in brackish water(most of them surcome to the illness) and I still haven't done a water change so you could have a puffer and tetra and that way it saves an argument and a relationship

Also good combos are puffers and guppies (get all males tho unless you want babies plus males have more color) also mollys work they are the only fish other than salmon that can be in eather full salt and full fresh water.

Schooling fish are quite beautiful to watch swil in formation back and forth so you could get other things like tiger barbs and neons
But if you go with tetras get neons, cardinal, glow lights, and hi fin tetra they all look great and will usually school together any thing else you can pm me

African butterfly fish?
Oddbal996.jpg

Oddbal127.jpg

(pics from aqualandpetsplus)

:welcome: to AA! :)
My friend insists on only buying boring fish for his new tank citing that he's building a community tank and what not. All of his excuses are bad arguments, but he refuses to get something cool. His girlfriend and me (his roommate) want something cool to look at instead of ottos and tetras. Does anyone have an idea of a fish that would fit in a 20 gallon tank? His girlfriend really wants a pufferfish, but anything that is colorful or fun to watch would be a huge upgrade. It's got lots of plants, if that helps. Please help my friend because I fear that his girlfriend may leave him if he doesn't man up and get an interesting fish. Help a brotha out!
If it was a pufferfish in a community tank it would kill everything.
Wow wth shed leave him wow
No pufferfish. Part of me says yeah go ahead let him do what he wants
But a good fish would be electric blue chiclid
No, electric blue cichlids-if it didn't eat the fish-would kill them anyway and that tank is WAY too small for one.
Problem is he would eat the smaller fish so well what I've found out is
Recently I had lots of tetra lots and they got ick and so I tryed a home remidy salt and heat problem is I put to much salt in and they were fine in brackish water(most of them surcome to the illness) and I still haven't done a water change so you could have a puffer and tetra and that way it saves an argument and a relationship
Not all puffers are brackish. And keeping freshwater fish long term in brackish is not healthy for the freshwater fish at all.
Also good combos are puffers and guppies (get all males tho unless you want babies plus males have more color) also mollys work they are the only fish other than salmon that can be in eather full salt and full fresh water.
Guppies and mollies plus pufferfish usually ends up with the puffer nipping them to death if you're not careful.
Schooling fish are quite beautiful to watch swil in formation back and forth so you could get other things like tiger barbs and neons
But if you go with tetras get neons, cardinal, glow lights, and hi fin tetra they all look great and will usually school together any thing else you can pm me

20 gallon is kinda small for an oddball fish.
I was going to suggest Elephant nose or Ghost knife; before I read the size of the tank.

Hatchet fish are a cool fish imo.

Agh! No African butterfly. They're gross!! Anything but that please?

the puffers are really cool, I would get one, they are cool to watch and if you get the frozen shrimp that you put on your salad and just thaw one out every day he will be fed and you can get the puffer to eat out of your hand.

I convinced him to look at a triple red cockatoo cichlid or something like that. Anyone know anything about them or where we can buy one? Thanks for the responses.

mcupell said:
I convinced him to look at a triple red cockatoo cichlid or something like that. Anyone know anything about them or where we can buy one? Thanks for the responses.

Most local fish stores will special order them for you if you ask for them to. But keep in mind they're no the hardiest fish so you'll have to take some good care of them.

Back
Top Bottom