Need A Good Gourami site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dogartist...

There aren't a whole lot of sites dedicated to Gouramis. There are a LOT of sites with general information and if you do a Google search on the particular Gourami you're interested in you'll probably turn up quite a bit of useful (and some NOT so useful) information.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about Gouramis?? I've kept almost all of the different types and might be able to help you with what you want to know. In addition, I have a rather extensive library here at home where I can dig out information that I don't know first-hand.

A pair of dwarf Gourami and a pair ( I was told they are.but wonder) of Blue Gourami....I have them in my 10 gal g.t tank holding them for him a day or so.. They are about 1 to 1.5 inches long now..They are so beautiful and interact nice.. eat everything.. I made them a little overhanging leaf in the tank of each side..they split up to their area..No aggression so far..so good..
I'm having thoughts of buying more for him and keep these... :twisted: He has a nice 10gal.
I have falling in love..They seem so happy ... I hate to move them again..but whats best for them..

I like Gouramis too....almost as much as I like Barbs. The Blue Gourami, Trichogaster trichopterus, can reach as much as 6 inches in length and will eventually be too big for your 10 gallon tank. Male T. trichopterus are very territorial as they mature, especially when other male Blue Gouramis are involved. They will fight to establish dominance and occasionally this will result in the death of the weaker. With semi-adult to adult fish you can tell the males from the females by the longer dorsal fin of the male.

Dwarf Gouramis, Colisa lalia, have all of the good (and most of the bad) attributes of their larger Blue Gourami cousin. Males can be quite territorial and two of them in a tank isn't a very good idea. The Dwarf Gourami, regardless of the color variation (Sunset, Blue, Neon, etc.) reaches a length of about 3 inches so it will be more comfortable in a 10 gallon tank.

Gouramis, in general, are very adaptable as far as water quality is concerned. As long as their tanks are clean and warm, they aren't particularly sensitive to pH level. Both Blue Gouramis and Dwarf Gouramis are fairly easy to spawn. There is plenty of information on how to do this out on the web.

Hope this helps!

Yes it did..Thanks so for that.. :D
Do you have a problem with your 3 Blues..in a 26 gal?.. :?:
I have noticed more curling of their body toward their tank friends..Both kinds I have seen this.. I assume this is a trait to them..
Do you have know of good tank mates for each pair?..

I will give my brother the dwarf pair... I liked them the best.. He will take good care of them.. .
thanks again

I don't have any problems at all with the Blue Gouramis in the 26 gallon. The male is about 4 inches long, one of the females nearly as big and the other female slightly smaller. The male chases both females and the larger female chases the smaller one but no harm has ever been done. I did make the mistake a few months ago of trying a pair of Gold Gouramis in the same tank. That lasted all of a day before the male Gold Gourami was a fin-tattered mess! Needless to say the 'Goldies' quickly departed the tank for safer quarters.

If you're planning on keeping the Blue Gouramis in the 10 gallon (same one you list in your signature with Neons and Danios?) then you may already be fully stocked. Unless the Neons and Danios are really small then they should be perfectly safe with the Blue Gouramis. You definitely want to consider some type of bottom-dweller for this tank. Perhaps a couple of Corydoras?

Out of curiosity....if you liked the Dwarf Gouramis the best...why are you giving them to your brother? Personally, I'd keep the Dwarf Gouramis and let your brother have the Blues. What size tank is he planning on putting them in??

He has a 10gal with no fish now he wanted Gouramis ..He will be home in a day or so to learn to care for them.. I'm there several times a week. I baby sit his Rotti..So I will care for the tank for a while...doing h2o changes and whatever.. already got their food there and set up all they will need and more..lol
The Blues will get to big for the 10 and I will get larger as they need it...He just wanted a few fish and only one tank to care for...I am hooked and thinking about the Tall Tans........lol..( I like that too..)..Tall Tanks.... I love that look..Something new to me..

Sorry I just redid my tank profile..It was cleaned and cyled and sweet ..The last fish on Q,T went to their new happy home...

Just looked up my Blue G's..They are Opalines 8O .. I couldn't understand about the 3 spots :?: ..These had spots ..sorta ..but smeared together,,Very Pretty.. Blues with white polka dots on thier fins... :fadein:
Says 4 inch max :?:

i was wondering after it cycle my 10 gallon is it possible to keep 2 dwarf gouramis a pleco and a small school of fish? (i wanna breed dwarvies and i want a school 2)
i got a 5 gallon 2 but i was thinking about keeping the babies in there

krap101 said:
haha but still their cheap and have a better gaurentee then pet land

Petland and Petsmart both have extremely good gaurentees.. Both have two week return policies (Generally more than enough time to discover if the fish is sick). Petland will also take in fish you need to get rid of, though not necessarily for store credit. Petco I believe has similar policies but I've never actually bought fish or equipment from them, just a ferret once.

All stores differ. Sometimes you may find your Walmart has better tanks that dedicated aquarium shops, because they luckily stumbled upon an employee who knew what they're doing. But the majority of people tend to agree Walmart is generally near the bottom.

When the purchase is a life form, a dollar or two in price difference will not be a deciding price in where I purchase my fish.

Back
Top Bottom