Need advice on tank setup for a Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok..I got my first betta...actually my first fish since I was probably 12 years old and had goldfish!

Right now I have him in a 1/2 gallon bowl that I bought at Walmart with some glass beads on the bottom....after doing some research I've decided that I'd like to move him into a 5 gallon tank(if I can find one anywhere?) with a filter to help keep the tank clean and some fake plants for him to hide in etc...

I also want to get a heater as my house goes into the low 60's during the winter...

Advice on a filter..I know squat about them and understand it can't be too strong as the betta's don't really like a strong flow..what should I be looking for in a filter and what type? How much does this cut down on tank cleanings?

Any advice or tips on making a happy home from my betta appreciated! I have been using bottled water to fill his bowl

Oh 1 more thing..if using a heater is it imperative that you use a glass tank and not a plastic one? I think glass is the correct answer but just checking to make sure...I'm having a tough time finding a glass 5 gallon aquarium..either 2.5 or 10 gallons(too big)

Like I said all advice appreciated :)

Goose

Hi Goose, and welcome to AA!!! Your betta will really appreciate the extra room in a real aquarium, along with a filter and heater.

Check out your LFS or even your WalMart. Marineland makes a 5 gallon Eclipse tank (filter and light are built into the hood) that you can buy in a bow front shape or a hexagon shape. WalMart sells the Marineland knock-off hexagon tank. It looks like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...06506&itemNo=46&Nao=36&In=Fish&N=2030056&Ne=2
If you get either Eclipse 5 gallon tank, I would strongly suggest buying a 10 watt screw-in compact flourescent bulb. The tank comes with an incandescent bulb, which tends to heat the water too much. Eclipse also makes a 6 gallon tank that comes with a small flourescent tube- if you get that tank you won't have to worry about it. AGA makes the MiniBow aquarium kits, but I have never used one and can't advise there.

The only other thing you would need to buy is a heater. 25 watts would be fine, and won't cost too much. Bettas like to have plants in their tank. You can choose real or fake, but be sure to buy silk plants if you get fake ones so the betta doesn't tear his fins. Avoid decor with sharp edges for the same reason.

Have you read anything about the nitrogen cycle? It's really important to understand your biological filter and will help you keep fish more successfully. Here's an article: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

If you have any other questions, just ask! There are a lot of friendly folks here.

Oh, I forgot to mention...
A 5 gallon tank is a small volume of water, and therefore water quality is less stable than in a larger tank. You'll need to change at least 25% of your water per week, or even better, 10-15% twice a week. While you're cycling, you'll need to change more often to avoid exposing your betta to toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite.

You can use a heater in an acrylic tank. I used my 25 watt heater in my Eclipse tank for quite some time with no problems, until I upgraded my betta to a 10 gallon glass tank.

Thanks for the advice! The girl at Petsmart said you could not use a heater in an acrylic tank but I don't really thing she knew too much what she was talking about anyways...

so it is ok to use a filter with the betta? With a tank with a filter do you need to do a complete water change? I don't even know if I'd use a light bulb..isn't that too bright for a betta anyways?

Sorry for all the questions..I just don'tt want to "off" my new bud due to stupidity...already 1 day and his water looks a bit cloudy..I think dust settles on the still water also.

Goose

Edit- Ok I looked at the 6 gallon Eclipse on Walmarts site..this looks like a nice setup....good for the betta? Having the cover on it no issue for the "air' requirements? I think that might work well if suitable for a Betta :) Just want to make sure filter isn't too powerful for him on the 6 gallon

I have had a betta in a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon Eclipse tank. I've found the built-in filtration to be too strong for a betta. I also didn't like the lighting - I preferred to buy the lighting I wanted separately and not be "stuck" with what was built in. If you think you'll want to do live plants someday, the Eclipse lighting may limit your plant selections.

Here is my betta setup - a 5.5 gallon glass tank (All-Glass brand makes one) a 25-watt heater (Visitherm Stealth 25-watt), and a sponge filter run through a gang valve to lessen the water flow. You can use the other ports on the gang valve to "bleed off" some excess air so that the sponge filter doesn't run at full force. I like the Rena airpumps to run the sponge filter.

I have used the All-Glass brand Minibow acrylic kits, but only as a QT tank. I did use a 25-watt heater, the Visitherm Deluxe, in the tank, but I don't like the filter that much.

Here are some links:

Sponge filter: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3954&N=2004+113424

Gang valve: You could use the 2-way one.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...x=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Airline tubing:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=6124&N=2004+113403

Airpump:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3724&rel=1

Heater:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12060&N=2004+113767

Low-light hood: 16-inch
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3785&N=2004+113349

This is my lighting fixture, but you probably don't want to spend the money on this light unless you want to have medium light, live plants: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11382&N=2004+113345

You need to place this fixture over a glass top. You can disconnect the wire from one of the bulbs for a low-light tank. If you run both bulbs, you'll most likely need to run CO2 also to prevent algae.

Glass top: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

I use an eclipse 6 for my betta and the filter is no problem - Just remove the bio wheel and pack the well where the outflow is (Under the bio wheel) with a course sponge to disperse the water a bit - Keep the tank topped right up so that the water isn't falling into the tank and you'll pretty much have the perfect filtration rate for your betta.

The lighting with the eclipse isn't great but mine grows crypts and anubias pretty well (you need a pretty rich substrate for the crypts though).

Best of luck with you tank!!

My betta didn't have any problem with the built-in filtration, but each fish is different so you may have to modify the filter like Skulljug suggested. Either that or go for the glass 5.5 gallon- that would be nice too.

You don't need to do a complete water change in a filtered tank, either do 25% weekly or 10-15% twice a week once the tank has cycled. While you are cycling it will be necessary to do more water changes.

When I set up my first tank, the Petsmart employee sent me on the road to disaster LOL! We would be happy to help you with your questions here. If I had known about this site at the time, my first fish would have fared better, I'm sure.

You can play with the bio-wheel like Skulljug said - I tried that too. I am not a good DIY person, though! I tried to put sponges under the bio-wheel or small pieces of sponge before the bio-wheel. Both times the sponges worked themselves loose and obstructed the bio-wheel flow. One time I found water backing up and spilling out right above the intake area on the other end of the bio-wheel. Water dripped down the cord and almost to the plug. Luckily I found it in time. But that was the last time I tried to fiddle with the bio-wheel filters. You'll have to find a way to reduce the flow without obstructing the bio-wheel.

Hi Goose !! I just wanted to welcome you and to thank you from the bottom of my betta loving heart for your efforts in looking for ways to improve your betta's home. I'm sure he's going to love it and YOU for it :)

Ok..here is the situation...I went out and got the 5 gallon hex tank at Walmart and I also replaced the bulb that came with it with a fluorescent one. Added 2 silk plants and some jade gravel. Have a 25 watt Neptune heater by Marineland. Also put a thermometer in there and the water is showing right about 76 degrees.

Have the filter, bio-wheel and everything in full motion. The bottom of the biowheel water exit is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch under the water. It does create a bit of a current.....ok for the betta?

Some observations...my Betta seems to be doing ok in the tank however he seems pretty hyper...he has been in there maybe 2 hours and for the most part he is hanging out near the heater swimming straight up from the bottom to the top of the tank and down again...I haven't seem him sit still since he has been in there like he did when he was in his fishbowl. For awhile he was swimming against the current like a salmon and kept doing it....now he is just hanging around the heater for the most part swimming up and down.

Another observation is that there are hundreds of tiny bubbles clinging on to the sides of the tank and everything else that is in there, the plants. therm, heater etc...what is the cause of this and will they go away? Could this cause harm to the fish?

Some other questions...how long should I leave the light on for him(No not Motel 6 lol) and what would you suggest as a good feeding time schedule? He did eat the Bloodworms I put in there....because of the current his food does move around in a clockwise rotation...ok I just tried to feed him some pellets and when the go around in front of the biowheel flow they sink instantly :( This is going tbe a problem I think..if his food sinks how will he eat??

Arrrgh..ok any advice? I don't want him to get exhausted from swimming all over the place like he is on speed or something.....

Sorry for all the questions again but I want to make sure that this 5 gallon tank is not to much for the fish and he would be better off back in his bowl with still waters

Thanks

Goose

Hello!
It wasn't too long ago that I was asking for help with getting my own betta a 5 gallon tank.
When I first put my betta (Leo) in a five gallon, he got really frisky too. I assumed he was very happy, after being in a tiny bowl for most of his life. He goes through cycles of being really active, then later just poking around. I think its normal.
The bubbles are the beginning of a bubble nest. Male bettas create bubble nests out of spit to protect the eggs laid by a female. No worries. The betta males build the nests, then, when the males and females spawn, he carefully picks up each egg, puts it in the bubble nest, and guards the nest. I've witnessed it but never bred on my own. Don't worry, all healthy betta males do this. There is no need to breed him, but he will probably continue to 'blow bubbles.' it is probably a sign that your betta is happy in his new home.
I always turn off my filter for a minute when I feed Leo. That way he can eat comfortably. He likes to slowly position himself under his food and then lunge at it. He can't do this well when the food is moving. Do I spoil him? Who knows how he'd cope in the wild!
Congratulations on getting a betta and kudos for wanting to make him really happy. They are wonderful fish, and have lots of personality.

Thanks for the reply...actually these are hundreds of tiny bubbles that were in the tank even before he went in there..I suppose I can get one of those tank cleaning swap things Ive seen the store to clear the glass(plastic) of bubbles...

I'm wondering if the hex was the wrong shape to get because of the circular current it creates and would have been better off with a square aquarium..I'm probably overthinking here also and probably worrying more than I should..I'm sure he will find a spot away from the water flow so he can rest when he needs to

I took your advice on feeding with the filter off...wish there was an on/off switch rather than having to unplug it though...the food stayed sort of still for him to get it except he has started to spit out the Aqua Culture Betta Pellets and he doesn't seem to care for BettaMin flakes either...he will eat the Tetra Bloodworms but those are just a treat right? Wow never knew fish could be finicky....do they respond to different pellet foods?

Goose

Goose

The bubbles are normal. You just filled up the tank, so that's why they are there. You'll likely notice them after each water change too. They will not harm your fish at all, don't worry. 76 is an ok temperature, but you may want to bump the temp up slowly to about 78-80. I used the 25 W Neptune heater also in my Eclipse, and never had any problems with it.

Your tank has begun cycling now, so be sure to feed very sparingly until you are done cycling. Cut back to one small feeding a day, or even every other day. This will help your betta produce less waste, and make it less likely that he will be poisoned by toxic ammonia and nitrites. Since you will be cycling with a fish (and one that you obviously care about), it would be best for you to buy a test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The AP Master Test Kit is the one I use, and it's pretty easy to use. Just make sure you don't buy the test strips. They aren't very accurate, and won't be much help to you. If you don't want to buy a test kit, most LFS's will test your water samples for free, but it is easier to do it yourself IMO. It really helps to have a test kit so you can keep an eye on where you are in the cycling process. Until you get one I would do a 25% water change every 2-3 days just to be safe.

Don't worry about your betta acting hyper. He is just checking out his new environment, and I'm sure he's happy with the extra space. He just wants to explore.

Are you still using bottled water for him? You don't need to do that. It's perfectly fine to use tap water as long as you use a dechlorinator. I use Prime and it works great. It's a little more expensive than other brands, but you only need 2 drops per gallon so it works out to be cheaper in the long run.

Be sure to post pics when you get some!

The bubbles are just a result of you putting all that new water in, as you pour it in the bubbles are created by the extra agitation, they will be gone by the time you wake up tomorrow. Nothing to worry about.

Note that bettas prefer water a little warmer than most other really common tropical fish; I would suggest aiming to keep the temp in the 78-80 degree range.

Bettas have a reputation for being a bit finicky about food, so that's not really surprising. My own experience (only with female bettas) is that they prefer live food the most, followed by frozen, followed by betta pellets, followed by flake absolutely last. The best way to get them to eat food they don't seem interested in is just to not feed them for a couple days; it won't hurt the fish and it's amazing how much more appetizing those pellets look to an empty stomach. lol. Freeze dried bloodworms should only be a treat, not a staple food, so it's important to get your betta in the habit of eating the pellets or some other nutritionally-balanced food.

Also, you mention having a couple of plants, in my experience bettas like to "sleep" at night by resting on broad-leaved plants (things like anubias or swords). So if you don't have anything in the tank that fits that description, consider getting at least one plant with nice large, flat leaves.

Good luck, and if you can, post a picture or two for us to see!

EDIT: wow, apparently severum mama and I were typing out our responses at the same time without realizing it. Just wanted to let everyone know I wasn't just repeating all the same info just for the sake of hearing myself speak lol. :eek:

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) Learning as I go with some good advice here..thanks!

I'll work on getting a pic

Hey guys(and gals) I think that my betta may not be doing ok in his new home..he seems really hyper with the filter on...not hiding or anything like that but swimming really quickly up and down around the heater...when I turn the filter off he seems to just sort of chill and he even came to the surface to eat 3 or 4 pellets..

Tank temp is 80 degrees and he has been in there maybe for about 24-26 hours...now here is the distressing part....it looks like there is little white spots or growths behind each of his front fins...moreso on his jeft side...what could these be? I don't remember seeing them on him yesterday..could something have set in this quickly?? Could it be a reaction from him flapping his fins so much? I mean he is beating them like a humming bird! I don't see any other spots on him although he does look a little pale around the and under the gills...is this stress etc???

Any advice on what to do?? I mean he is darting all over the back of the tank I feel awful like what did I do to him??? I hope by taking him out of the bowl it won't kill him :(

Thanks

Goose

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

Read this article and look at the pictures - is this what the white spots on your betta look like?

If so, the treatment is relatively easy. Increase the temperature by one degree every few hours until you reach 87 degrees. The heat kills off the ich parasite in all its life stages. Ideally you should do 20-25% water changes daily to also remove the parasite. Keep the temperature up for two weeks after you see the last white spot, just to make sure you got rid of them all.

BTW, when using heat to treat for ich, you MUST use an accurate thermometer to avoid "cooking" fish. Also, many folks medicate ich with a treatment consisting of Malachite Green and Formalin. It is quite effective.

All treatments MUST be continued for several days after ich is no longer visible or it will come right back.

SirWired

Well there doesn't appear to be any other spots on him other than the 2 behind his fins...they actually look more like little bumps than spots..maybe they have always been there and I just can see them more clearly with the light from the tank? I'll keep an eye on them to see if they grow or spread..there are some bettas people have here at work...I'll take a look at them to see of they look the same

also ONE other thing to people who have used the Bio wheel filter....the first day I used, it was fine..just silently pushing out water..yesterday when I got home I noticed it is makiing a more pronounced water noise and has turned into a BUBBLE machine! Not huge bubbles..just small ones almost like tlitle soap bubbles... At first I thought that maybe it was a bubble nest but sure enough the bubble are coming right out of the biowheel exit..if I take the cover off and look at the pleats of the wheel I can see bubbles on them! Have you bio wheel filter owners ever noticed this? I have the water level up to where they recommend :?

Back
Top Bottom