Need help first tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were saying something about the light

SPS require very high water quality, and most require very bright lights. LPS and soft corals are generally going to be easier to care for in a small tank.

What's the salinity?
Any change in the Zoa? Remember, it can take some time before they open up. I see a few white spots on a couple of polyps but the pic is blurry.

Just checked salinity.. Said it was 1.032 but I think that's impossible I feel the fish would be dead

Just checked salinity.. Said it was 1.032 but I think that's impossible I feel the fish would be dead

How did you check the salinity?
If with a refractometer, did you calibrate it? Temperature effects refractometers.
If with a hydrometer, if the hydrometer is new you need to season it... Fill it with saltwater and let it sit for 24 hours. After that: dump it, rinse it and recheck your tank.

How did you check the salinity?
If with a refractometer, did you calibrate it? Temperature effects refractometers.
If with a hydrometer, if the hydrometer is new you need to season it... Fill it with saltwater and let it sit for 24 hours. After that: dump it, rinse it and recheck your tank.

Hydrometer. Just started seasoning

Attachments

• image-3787066550.jpg
    image-3787066550.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 107
I would consider that nitrate level to be super high for a salt tank. You need to get that down. You also need a good salinity reading.

How are the Zoas looking today?
Any issues with anything else?

If you get your water from a LFS then have them confirm the salinity before you leave the store. Also take them a sample of your tank water to confirm salinity.

I would consider that nitrate level to be super high for a salt tank. You need to get that down. You also need a good salinity reading.

How are the Zoas looking today?
Any issues with anything else?

If you get your water from a LFS then have them confirm the salinity before you leave the store. Also take them a sample of your tank water to confirm salinity.

Zoas are still tightly closed and how do I lower nitrates?

Water changes, effective skimming, do not over feed, if you have mechanical filtration clean or replace the media daily.

Well, it doesn't look good. They are very resilient though. Is that as extended as it gets? Have you been moving it a lot? Any brown slime?

Place it in a low light area that has decent flow. You don't want it to be beat around but you want some movement. Then leave it be, the more you mess with it the more pissed off it will become.

Back
Top Bottom