Need help NOWWWW!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chances are your fish are not going to live through the night.

Salt will kill them, the only thing you can do now is WC to get everything down. Like a full 90%.

I feel like you not telling us all the info, a tank doesn't go off the chart over night.

NitrIte way way way to high!

Yeah, definately... That's what I think it was. Doing like 3 back to back water changes as we speak... Should I just put 'en in a 5 gal plastic bucket with clean water (acclimate them of course), filter, and heater?

The tips of one of their fins is black... Should I be concerned? Should I add some salt to help relieve stress? Got my bubbler going too...

Nitrite still super high... Can I add them to a tank with good parameters Am 0 NitrI 0 nitrate 10 ish? Or will they go into nitrate shock??? Please I need help before I go to bed, don't want anymore dead fish overnight :( The tank is cycled with a danio and 5 peppered cories...

Chances are your fish are not going to live through the night.

Salt will kill them, the only thing you can do now is WC to get everything down. Like a full 90%.

I feel like you not telling us all the info, a tank doesn't go off the chart over night.

:/ I'm gonna keep doing the WC, already done 2 50%'s, gonna do a 90 now... Hopefully it will get under control... I am not holding anything back from you Guys, what do you want to know? I got 4 neon tetras 3 weeks ago, if that matters... Maybe lack of oxygen? I raised temp by 5 degrees over like 5 hours, but filter had top of water moving pretty vigorously... I'm not sure.

Ok, just did 2 50% and 1 80% WC... Added a capful of stress coat to hopefully calm them down a bit. I guess all I can do is pray, and hope for the best ... If only I could do more... :/

Trying to think out of the box:

At the bottom of your tank, is it all gravel or did your brother feed them jelly beans. Some of your gravel are the shape and color of jelly beans.

Try asking your brother if he shared any food or toys with the fish. Because, even if those objects are really gravel. Maybe he put something else in the tank that made the fish sick. I'd ask him real gently and curiously. At 5, I'm sure I would have fed the fish my candy.

Edited to add: did he know they were sick? He might have given them " medicine"

Maybe tank wasnt properly cycled? Have you mentioned tank age?

Maybe its a bit over stocked for such a small tank??

Maybe your feeding too much??

Leave the fish in the tank and do some water changes. Not sure about massive changes like 80-90% this might add to your problems.

This is not necessary (my opinion only), small regulars are key to small tanks. It does sound stocked up though. Nitrite is bad for any fish, I won't go into the science, trust me, ammonia and nitrite can kill in small doses, it gets more lethal depending on pH an temp. Adding salt (depends on salt) could alter the pH,GH,Kh. Given the test readings I don't see how it can benefit fish which really are not accustomed to salt of any kind. They are not really fans of high pH. (That's the tetra)

The problem clearly seems to be nitrogenous.

A general plan,
You should aim for a Saturday and Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, no matter what, if your late for school or practice, fish come first. (If my tanks go out of line, which can happen, I do not go to work, i can't earn enough in a day to replace all of my fish) I use four changes on my smaller tanks, except the puffer fish, he's on a weekly cycle but he's an isolated specimen in 16G/60 litres.

20-25% each time, testing Monday and Friday. Make notes of test results, diary/journal your tank history. If you still keep fish in five years this information will be useful. You should find that's enough, if not you have too many fish. You will see that's possibly too many water changes, this is where you want to be, on the good side of water quality. (When you get confident in your test result data you can ease off testing until you think something is wrong, if you stick to the plan, things shouldn't go wrong too often)

You can alter the days around your evening activities but really to change out water on a 10 g should only take 5 minutes. 5 minutes is nothing.

I hope they survive.

Leave the fish in the tank and do some water changes. Not sure about massive changes like 80-90% this might add to your problems.

This is not necessary (my opinion only), small regulars are key to small tanks. It does sound stocked up though. Nitrite is bad for any fish, I won't go into the science, trust me, ammonia and nitrite can kill in small doses, it gets more lethal depending on pH an temp. Adding salt (depends on salt) could alter the pH,GH,Kh. Given the test readings I don't see how it can benefit fish which really are not accustomed to salt of any kind. They are not really fans of high pH. (That's the tetra)

The problem clearly seems to be nitrogenous.

A general plan,

You should aim for a Saturday and Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, no matter what, if your late for school or practice, fish come first. (If my tanks go out of line, which can happen, I do not go to work, i can't earn enough in a day to replace all of my fish) I use four changes on my smaller tanks, except the puffer fish, he's on a weekly cycle but he's an isolated specimen in 16G/60 litres.

20-25% each time, testing Monday and Friday. Make notes of test results, diary/journal your tank history. If you still keep fish in five years this information will be useful. You should find that's enough, if not you have too many fish. You will see that's possibly too many water changes, this is where you want to be, on the good side of water quality. (When you get confident in your test result data you can ease off testing until you think something is wrong, if you stick to the plan, things shouldn't go wrong too often)

You can alter the days around your evening activities but really to change out water on a 10 g should only take 5 minutes. 5 minutes is nothing.

I hope they survive.

Theres a lot of sense spoken here

Pandicorn i would hold off on your plans to add german blue rams to your recenly cycled tank. They are very sensitive and if you get even small
amounts of ammonia and nitrite they will suffer. Nitrates in medium levels are also bad for them

Plans were for Bolivians, but that's not really the point. Anyways, yes, I understand the nitrogen cycle, under stocking/ overstocking, but it seems that my tank pretty much crashed overnight! :( The only fish in the tank were 8 neon tetras and 10 guppy fry.

- I don't think I could miss school or practice, my parents would go crazy, and probably go and return my fish or something.

-I usually did 1 50% WC on Tuesdays, but I guess I should do more small ones? Not sure.

I feel like you guys are treating me like I have no idea what I'm doing... I realize rams are sensitive fish, that's why I'm putting them in last. I realize they need a mature tank >.>

They survived the night! :D. The black tips of one of the tetras has actually gone away. Still kinda inactive, but nice to know they made it.

The tips of one of their fins is black... Should I be concerned? Should I add some salt to help relieve stress? Got my bubbler going too...

Get your mind off of salt, I don't know where you got the idea that salt = stress relief but its the exact opposite. Salt burns the fish and causes stress.

-Tank has been existing for almost 1 1/2 years... When I first got it, I didn't cycle it, and 1 out of my 2 fish died, but I'd think after this long of a time gradually adding fish... Yeah.

-didn't think it was overstocked via. Aquadvisor.

-brother isn't THAT crazy, anyway we never get candy lol, he usually just watches the fish.

Nitrites still high, ammonia is between 0 and .25, nitrates have lowered to 40 ish

I didnt think tanks just crashed without there being an underlying problem somewhere or by doing something to cause it.

There must be something more to this.....

Back
Top Bottom