Need help NOWWWW!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didnt think tanks just crashed without there being an underlying problem somewhere or by doing something to cause it.

There must be something more to this.....

I agree, there was a mistake made somewhere and it is not being said. OTC levels don't happen in 12 hours overnight.

Might have gradually happened? What could have caused it?? I was like 2 days late on my WC if that is it?

I believe around 2, not at home atm...

thats very toxic, are the fish still in there? can't you not get the nitrites to drop? did you vacuum the substrate, clean ornaments, many wc's?

causing a mini cycle is far better than your current situation. I almost think you should start over.

Might have gradually happened? What could have caused it?? I was like 2 days late on my WC if that is it?

unless you haven't checked params in like a week, add heavy feeding, overstocked conditions, filter is filthy, light on for far too long, already dirty conditions.

All of these would of had to happen to some degree to cause this, along with maybe a high ammo spike to kill off BB. i honestly am not really sure, but it was severe.

Wha... I was told to keep them in the tank! >.|> I am usually good with keeping water conditions tip top... Maybe someone dropped some liquid ammonia into the tank... I was cycling the 45... O.O. My 45 is 0 0 and 10 nitrates. Should I move them when I get home?

its gotta be better than where they are now. the transition may be a bit hard on them, but it won't be as bad as high nitrites. do you know the ph of both tanks? i would assume they are around the same? what about temp?

if ph is low nitrites become even more toxic. to a very healthy fix that high nitrites can do a lot of damage. to an already struggling fish it will kill them.

its gotta be better than where they are now. the transition may be a bit hard on them, but it won't be as bad as high nitrites. do you know the ph of both tanks? i would assume they are around the same? what about temp?

if ph is low nitrites become even more toxic. to a very healthy fix that high nitrites can do a lot of damage. to an already struggling fish it will kill them.

Ph is like .5 difference. I'll have time to acclimate them properly when I get home...

Next time put your fish before soccer practice, your coach will understand saving your pet's lives is a valid excuse to show up late to a PRACTICE. If you see a problem with your fish address it immediately, generally no matter what is wrong, water conditions disease infection ect. Usually by the time you notice a problem it's your last chance to save your fish.

Hm... So I just added them to big 45 gal, w/ new Cory's and danio. The NT look VERY pale, but the light was off for like 6 hours, and it was dark... I now realize I have never (until now) seen my NT's without light. The natural sunlight always hits before I get up... I've been looking around and this seems very natural, apparently tetras tend to go transparent. I left the light on for 10 ish min and they seemed to darken a bit...

So here are some ideas. Dead fish, left for several hours in a tank while someone is at school/practice could cause quite a nice ammonia and subsequent nitrite spike. As far as what I've read, tetras are sensitive to salt, you already had ich, that could have just been enough stress to kill them, or your ich had progressed and was already going to kill them. Who knows? Funny that it hasn't leveled out yet though. Are you missing a dead fish in there somewhere?

My neon tetras do "turn off" their glow when sleeping. It takes a few minutes after they wake up for their color to return. The only other time I've seen my tetras blanch is when my heater went defunk and the temp rocketed to 90. They were practically white.

Not sure if this helps you any, but thought I'd try. I'd honestly do some massive WC, like 50%, wait an hour, 50% again. Nitrites are very deadly, and I think the possibility of a WC shock (which I'm dubious about, I mean spring rains make massive water changes in the wild) would be the lesser danger. Unless your nitrates are crazy high too, which from reading I didn't think they were. Then you'd have to go slower to prevent shock.

Its very interesting to see peoples ideas about water change routines.
I see vennymae mention 'massive' 50% water change. Well if you venture over to the planted tank side, you'll find the majority including myself do this weekly as the norm

As I said, I have acclimated them to the larger 45. What I did find, was under one of my plants, was a dead fry. I'm not sure if this was the one with ich, but it was under there, what MIGHT have happened was he was the first to go (he had a spine deformity) and he was just too much ammonia for the BB to handle. Anyways, I don't think my NT were sick, but they did seem to have fin rot.

Im a firm believer that fish diseases are brought on by poor/ not ideal water conditions. Just my opinion though

Im a firm believer that fish diseases are brought on by poor/ not ideal water conditions. Just my opinion though

Yup. They definitely seem to be recovering, they are being more active (sort of schooling with my one Glo-danio), but still reluctant to eat.

Back
Top Bottom