Need help starting 36 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
23fsl007-3ft78w-06-a.jpg
Click here to view full size.
  • 23fsl007-3ft78w-06-a.jpg
  • 23fsl007-3ft78w-06-b.jpg
  • 23fsl007-3ft78w-06-c.jpg
Full Size Image

23fsl007-3ft78w-06-a.jpg
Click to close full size.
Item Description
Improper or insufficient aquarium lighting leads to stress, unhealthy growth in plants, fishes, corals and reef. The light fixtures are to provide and replicate the natural conditions of light in natural habitats. Most aquariums need appropriate level of light. And it is up to you to give them normal days and nights as they don't have any other way to normalize behavioral cycles.
Coming with 78W Power Output in total, the latest 36" Aquarium Light offers both outstanding performance and modern design for your aquarium.
It supports 2 x 39W T5 HO Fluorescent Lamps, which is an pretty good choice for saltwater, reef, or freshwater tropical aquariums.
Features:
  • Brand New in Box Ready to Be Operated Upon Arrival
  • Internal Highly Efficient Ballasts
  • Standard T5 Sockets
  • German Aluminum Reflector for Maximum and Optimal Lighting Effect
  • Non-corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
  • Acrylic Shield to Protect the Light from Splashing
  • Well-ventilated Design with Thermovents on Both Ends of the Fixture
  • Flippable Brackets to Fix the Light onto the Tank
  • Suitable for both Natural Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium
  • CE Certificated
  • Voltage: 110 V
  • Overall Dimension: 36"L x 4 1/3"W x 1 3/4"H

Looks like a basic fixture. You might have a hard time growing some corals and it's definitley not enough for an anemone if you were thinking that.

Usually a 4 bulb fixture is the standard.

its okay, its okay. you can still grow good corals, like zoanthids, and shrooms. dont feel bad, you can always sell it and buy a new one later if you really feel the need, but for now, dont worry about it...

ha thank you for the reassuring but ya im definitely going to sell it and get something a lot stronger

how does this one look its an Aquaticlife T5 HO

HID Light Fixture 36 in #420055

DESCRIPTION​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
Light fixture containing a directional 150W metal halide 10,000K HID lamp while providing actinic/blue light with
two 420/460 nm T5 HO lamps and adjustable LED lunar light.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
GENERAL​
  1. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]HID vertical mount and reflector design intensify light output from 150W 10,000K lamp.
    [*]Programmable timer creates a Circadian Cycle for fish and corals and functions as an on/off switch for all lamps.
    [*]German made specially angled T5 HO reflectors maximize 420/460 nm light by directing it into the aquarium.
    [*]Adjustable width aquarium frame mounts support fixture above the aquarium.
    [*]Included adjustable suspension hardware support fixture from overhead.
    [*]LED housings pivot 40 degrees allowing lunar light to be directed over specific areas of the aquarium.
    [*]Internal electronic ballasts designed to cool without fans for quiet operation.
    [*]Aluminum housings used to dissipate heat away from fixture.
[/FONT][/FONT]
MISCELLANEOUS​
    [*]Rated Voltage: 120 Volt AC
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Total Input Current: 2.1A
    [*]Rated Cycle: 60 Hz
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Total Wattage: 228W
    [*]Power Factor (HID): 0.99
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Power Factor (T5 HO): 0.55
    [*]Input Current (HID): 1.3A
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Input Current (T5 HO): 1.1A
    [*]Harmonic Distortion (HID): <9%
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Tc (T5 HO): Max 167[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]o [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]F
    [*]Output Waveform (HID): 150Hz, Square Wave
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Power Cord Length: 3 meters
    [*]ANSI Code (HID): M81
[/FONT][/FONT]
APPEARANCE​
    [*]Anodized black housing with gloss and matte finish
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2 mm Acrylic T5 HO lens covers
    [*]Black end plates with matte finish
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Black suspension ceiling covers
    [*]Black Aluminum HID Housing with gloss finish
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Black mounting legs
    [*]Glass UV shielded HID Covers
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Blue timer display
[/FONT][/FONT]
COMPONENTS​
    [*]410041 - (2) 36 in T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamp
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]470108 - Ballast (HID) 150W
    [*]410053 - (1) G12 150W 10,000K HID Lamp
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]470071 - Ballast (T5 HO)
    [*]470109 - (4) 1W Lunar LED’s
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](2) Lens Cover
    [*]470064 - (2) Aquarium Frame Mounts
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]470110 - (2) End Plate
    [*]470137 - Suspension Hardware
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Installation & Maintenance Guide
    [*]Allen Wrench
[/FONT][/FONT]
PACKAGING​
    [*]Box - reinforced brown cardboard
[/FONT][/FONT]
DIMENSIONS​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Packaging
    1. 38.5 x 18.5 x 9.5 in / 97.75 x 47 x 24.2 cm
    2. 33 lbs / 15 kg
    1. [/FONT]
    1. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
      [*]▪
      [/FONT]
      [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Product (Light without frame mounts)
      [*]35.8 x 15.4 x 6.2 in / 90.94 x 39.12 x 15.75 cm
      [*]23.05 lbs / 10.46 kg

[/FONT][/FONT]
ACCESSORIES​
    [*]410053 - 150W 10,000K HID Lamp
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]410112 – 150W 6,000K HID Lamp
    [*]410041 – 36 in T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamp
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]410054 – 150W 14,000K HID Lamp
    [*]470109 - 1W Lunar LED
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]410128 – 150W 20,000K HID Lamp
    [*]470064 - Frame Mounts
    [*]470137 - Suspension Hardware
[/FONT][/FONT]

The halides would pretty much let you keep anythig you want. Not sure what your budget is. Halides are out of my price range.

I found this one on craigslist so hopefully I can bargain the price back down.

But you say that's a good light too Carey?

The metal halide you listed above? Yeah that would an awesome fixture. You might have to buy new bulbs if its a used unit. If you give me your budget maybe I can find something. What's your final goal with this tank as far as corals and nems? When did u set up ur tank btw?

I havent even started to set it up im just getting all the stuff together first because I am moving into a new apartment in july so im going to start it then. and I'm not exactly sure what corals and nems I want I just know I definitely what to have to option to get any kind of coral or nem I want. I know I really like the blue or green carpet nems

but i know on light andprotein skimmer together i would like to stay under 200 but i dont want to cut corners either so if its gonna cost me more for my tank to be perfect! then o well what the heck

Corals are fine, but stay away from anemones. The vast majority of anemones die in aquaria due to inadequate lighting and tank conditions. If you want to be able to keep anything, look into a 4-6 (6 is better) bulb T5 HO fixture, or even a simple metal halide pendant would work. For skimmers, look into Reef Octopus. www.aquacave.com Carries them. They have good HOB models for under $200. HTH.

ya I figured that about the skimmer. the second light that I showed you I found on craigslist and they said they would sell it for 75 bucks. should I do it?

hmmmm thominil you make me nervous lol. wht light would you suggest I get then for my 36 gallon that I could keep any type of coral and nems

The answer to your questions as well as my opinion of nems are in my previous post. Just to make it more clear if you misunderstood, in my opinion, anemones should be left in the ocean. ;)

Haha ok I get it. Well what light would you suggest for my corals!

Did you check out that website I posted earlier? Fishneedit.com? Or didn't you like them? Theres other options but you probably want a minimum of a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

No I do like it i guess I'm just confused on exactly what to get. I did find a nice bak pak skimmer at my lfs though. but they didnt have any lights

Back
Top Bottom