Need help with ammonia in my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolinagirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I'm new on here and new to owning an aquarium in general so hopefully someone on here can help me! I set up my aquarium at the beginning of the month and I took a sample of my water to the pet store to be tested, they said everything was great and I could add fish. (My profile will give you an idea of what fish I now have) I recently noticed my bala shark acting strange and by the end of the day he died. I took him back to the store and took in another sample of water to which I was told the ammonia was a little high. I purchased ammonia remover that the clerk suggested. I came home did a partial water change then added some of the remover according to the directions. I tested the ammonia level tonight and its still high. Does anyone know what else I can do? Thanks bunches!

Carolinagirl said:
Hey guys, I'm new on here and new to owning an aquarium in general so hopefully someone on here can help me! I set up my aquarium at the beginning of the month and I took a sample of my water to the pet store to be tested, they said everything was great and I could add fish. (My profile will give you an idea of what fish I now have) I recently noticed my bala shark acting strange and by the end of the day he died. I took him back to the store and took in another sample of water to which I was told the ammonia was a little high. I purchased ammonia remover that the clerk suggested. I came home did a partial water change then added some of the remover according to the directions. I tested the ammonia level tonight and its still high. Does anyone know what else I can do? Thanks bunches!

Hi and welcome to AA! The first thing you nee to do is a water change with a declolinator to bring the ammonia down. Do you know what cycling a tank is?

forget adding ammonia remover... just do a 50% partial water changes and dose the water with prime. This removes the chlorine from your tap water an detoxifies any ammonia, nitrates and nitrites that are still in your tank.

Also, purchase a liquid test kit for your water. I use API freshwater master test kit.

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I forgot to put in there that I did add the dechlorinator to the water as well and the latest sample had tested said everything but the ammonia was great.

Carolinagirl said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I forgot to put in there that I did add the dechlorinator to the water as well and the latest sample had tested said everything but the ammonia was great.

That maybe the case if your tank is in the early stages if cycling. Please read the link I provided and it will make sense :)

Yes, but you see, water parameters can change quickly. How long did you have your tank setup before having them test the water?

I recommend reading the cycling article that mums posted. Even after the cycling period aquariums need weekly water changes, 20% - 50% water change, depending on your test results.

I've got plenty of questions lol. Dont know if anyone would know, but the pangasius catfish I have, I'm not sure if hes getting food. I drop algae wafers in there for him and he gets some of it but my opaline gourami bullies him away. How often should I drop algae wafers in there for them. I don't want on overload of algae!

Carolinagirl said:
I've got plenty of questions lol. Dont know if anyone would know, but the pangasius catfish I have, I'm not sure if hes getting food. I drop algae wafers in there for him and he gets some of it but my opaline gourami bullies him away. How often should I drop algae wafers in there for them. I don't want on overload of algae!

The major problem with over feeding is excess ammonia when it's left uneaten. Gouramis are greedy things. Mine steals food all the time. The best thing to do is feed them at opposite sides of the tank then remove any uneaten food.

I've just noticed your stock list. I'm not familiar with a couple of the fish you have listed but I know the Bala is going to get way too big for your tank. May I suggest you start a thread in the getting started section of fresh water and ask about your stock list. You may be over stocked for your tank. Overstocking can cause stress and disease outbreaks in a tank.

Yeah I was scared of overcrowding my tank when I started adding fish so I talked to the workers at petsmart when I would pick putt fish, they told me I was ok with the fish I have since I have the different areas of the tank covered ie the top, middle, and bottom. I did take a sample of my water back to the store for then to test it and the girl told me everything looks good now even the ammonia!

Carolinagirl said:
Yeah I was scared of overcrowding my tank when I started adding fish so I talked to the workers at petsmart when I would pick putt fish, they told me I was ok with the fish I have since I have the different areas of the tank covered ie the top, middle, and bottom. I did take a sample of my water back to the store for then to test it and the girl told me everything looks good now even the ammonia!

That's the problem with petsmart. The employees usually have no clue what so ever. Lucky you found AA many more educated people. :)

Yep! When I talked to petsmart about the ammonia in the first place a guy told me to use the ammonia remover and the girl today told me that was a bad idea. So goes to prove they have no idea what they are talking about. They confuse ppl!

Carolinagirl said:
Yep! When I talked to petsmart about the ammonia in the first place a guy told me to use the ammonia remover and the girl today told me that was a bad idea. So goes to prove they have no idea what they are talking about. They confuse ppl!

Definitely. When I first started out I got sold a tiny red tail shark for a 2.5gallon. He has now grown to 4 inches and is the terror of my 70g!

Lol anything to make money really. When I bought the catfish I was told it could live in a 55 gal tank cause he wouldn't get that big. I came home and did research on it and I found sites saying its going to get 9ft. So I guess when it gets bigger, I'll start looking for a new home for him!

Carolinagirl said:
Lol anything to make money really. When I bought the catfish I was told it could live in a 55 gal tank cause he wouldn't get that big. I came home and did research on it and I found sites saying its going to get 9ft. So I guess when it gets bigger, I'll start looking for a new home for him!

Good idea. The sooner the better IMO. How are all your readings? Did you buy a test kit yet? And are you doing daily PWC?

Back
Top Bottom