Need help with ammonia in my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually had the test kit and everythings looking great, the fish seem to be doing better as well. They seem to come out more which is enjoyable especially when the dog sees them and wants to eat them lol

It's also the fact that Petsmart, petco, or any fish store for that matter, are in the business to make money. They'll try to sell you fish no matter what the situation is in your tank. The employee at my old LFS, told me I could have at least 8 Goldfish in my 29 gallon. :O

I just recently switched stores based on this observation. I wanted to find a store that was family owned, and the employees were more of the hobbyist type instead of the salesmen type. I googled different stores in my area, visited a few, and then it happened...

I walked into a store near manhattan beach and ended up talking to the couple that owned the store for hours... AND they were so excited to talk to ME as well... which in Los Angeles, is very hard to find.

I was looking for ground covering plants, and they had the exact ones I wanted in the wife's display tank but none for sale... Instead of brushing me off with no concern of my disappointment, she just immediately reached into the tank and ripped out a few bunches for me to have for FREE!! I had to pinch myself, I hadn't seen this type of customer service since I lived in Ohio. This lead to a conversation about CO2 additives. I told her I was more interested in making my own CO2, she could have pushed me towards all the kits they had to sell on the shelves. Instead, she walked me through the process and even showed me how to easily install tubing into a 2 liter bottle.

I don't mean to ramble and I did have a point, but this was just an incredible experience.

My point, unless you fully trust the employee at your LFS, and you believe they have your tanks best interests in mind and not their pocketbook, I wouldn't buy anything they tell me to without researching or asking the experts on AA!!

Carolinagirl said:
I actually had the test kit and everythings looking great, the fish seem to be doing better as well. They seem to come out more which is enjoyable especially when the dog sees them and wants to eat them lol

Lol. That's good! Just keep follow the guides for fish in cycling and it'll be a cycled and healthy tank in no time. (y)

Donkey Gun said:
It's also the fact that Petsmart, petco, or any fish store for that matter, are in the business to make money. They'll try to sell you fish no matter what the situation is in your tank. The employee at my old LFS, told me I could have at least 8 Goldfish in my 29 gallon. :O

I just recently switched stores based on this observation. I wanted to find a store that was family owned, and the employees were more of the hobbyist type instead of the salesmen type. I googled different stores in my area, visited a few, and then it happened...

I walked into a store near manhattan beach and ended up talking to the couple that owned the store for hours... AND they were so excited to talk to ME as well... which in Los Angeles, is very hard to find.

I was looking for ground covering plants, and they had the exact ones I wanted in the wife's display tank but none for sale... Instead of brushing me off with no concern of my disappointment, she just immediately reached into the tank and ripped out a few bunches for me to have for FREE!! I had to pinch myself, I hadn't seen this type of customer service since I lived in Ohio. This lead to a conversation about CO2 additives. I told her I was more interested in making my own CO2, she could have pushed me towards all the kits they had to sell on the shelves. Instead, she walked me through the process and even showed me how to easily install tubing into a 2 liter bottle.

I don't mean to ramble and I did have a point, but this was just an incredible experience.

My point, unless you fully trust the employee at your LFS, and you believe they have your tanks best interests in mind and not their pocketbook, I wouldn't buy anything they tell me to without researching or asking the experts on AA!!

Amen :D

Yea i have a pearl gourami, they are really strange, at first it was dominant in the tank, but now after like 6 months hes hiding, really bizzare. If anyone knows whats happening please tell me! Good luck with that ammonia, the people here are really great AND NEVER LISTEN TO PETSMART OR PETCO they are idiots

Donkey Gun said:

I don't want to change the subject of this tread, but can you share the name and address of this lfs? I'm interested in give them a visit.

I have a question about air pumps. Are they necessary? I was told they are for decoration, but a friend told me the fish need the oxygen. Should I have one?

Carolinagirl said:
I have a question about air pumps. Are they necessary? I was told they are for decoration, but a friend told me the fish need the oxygen. Should I have one?

They are usually just for decoration but it is a good idea to have one as a back up incase your filter breaks or you need to increase surface agitation to promote oxygen exchange (like when treating ich). You don't new to run it all the time IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
They are usually just for decoration but it is a good idea to have one as a back up incase your filter breaks or you need to increase surface agitation to promote oxygen exchange (like when treating ich). You don't new to run it all the time IMO.

I do agree with mumma of two, not a real need.

Ok I didn't think so but just wanted to make sure! Now for another question cause I'm so full of them lol... My aunt has a 10 gal tank and I noticed yesterday she has 2 oscars, a dragonfish?, and a sucker in there. I thought you could only have 1 oscar due to them fighting...am I wrong?

Carolinagirl said:
Ok I didn't think so but just wanted to make sure! Now for another question cause I'm so full of them lol... My aunt has a 10 gal tank and I noticed yesterday she has 2 oscars, a dragonfish?, and a sucker in there. I thought you could only have 1 oscar due to them fighting...am I wrong?

You can have more than one Oscar in a tank, but the tank should be the proper size. In the case of your aunt, the 10G is waaay small, not even for 1 Oscar.
Oscars require at least, 55G tanks..... Your aunt will have serious problems with ammonia built up, fights, etc. The best approach is to try to find a new home for them soon!

Lol yeah I've tried to tell her she needs a bigger tank but shes the type of person you cant tell anything cause she knows it all!

Carolinagirl said:

Wow, just wow! You need to kidnap those fish! Not one of those fish should even be in there short term! One Oscar needs 75gallons plus! They can grow an inch a month and reach over a foot in length. If she has a common pleco in there it will reach 2 foot long. Longer than the tank! The dragon fish I'm unsure what its exact size is but I know it's way too big for a 10gallon!
Tell her to do some researching. Even if she only reads one article on each fish. Show her this too. She needs a reality check.

Back
Top Bottom