need opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmolly

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, i'm seriously missing my little old betta blue boy right now, and i'm thinking it's about time to find him a replacement. i'm going to "rescue" a little chain store betta. now, my worries lie with the stocking... i'm going to "try" the betta in the shrimp tank. my plan is to buy the shrimp first, get them established and breeding, and give them a TON of hiding spots in my ten gallon. then, after i have a bigger population, (like around 30 or so) i'll add mr./ms. Betta. if he fancies shrimp it's going to make things tough... since he won't mix in my 29, and that's the only other arrangement i have for him. i do however have a little fishbowl that i used to keep blue-boy in when i started the hobby... maybe for short term, but i know the issue with bowls. do you think it's worth a try, or should i wait a while and setup another tank for one?

I'd try it out. All of my bettas have been good with shrimp and snails. It's always worth a try, especially with bettas:D. Good luck!

I'd give it a shot! Depends on your shrimp though, larger shrimp would probably be fine but smaller would definitely be thee bettas new fave food.

blackmolly said:
ok, i'm seriously missing my little old betta blue boy right now, and i'm thinking it's about time to find him a replacement. i'm going to "rescue" a little chain store betta. now, my worries lie with the stocking... i'm going to "try" the betta in the shrimp tank. my plan is to buy the shrimp first, get them established and breeding, and give them a TON of hiding spots in my ten gallon. then, after i have a bigger population, (like around 30 or so) i'll add mr./ms. Betta. if he fancies shrimp it's going to make things tough... since he won't mix in my 29, and that's the only other arrangement i have for him. i do however have a little fishbowl that i used to keep blue-boy in when i started the hobby... maybe for short term, but i know the issue with bowls. do you think it's worth a try, or should i wait a while and setup another tank for one?

What kind of shrimp ?? Are you going to have a filter in the bowl and/or heater?? If you don't make sure to change out water everyday!!! How many gallons is bowl? I have one .5 getting another but growing plants ( so that's why I asked size). I'd try it out though!!!

Mixing Betta and Shrimp

I think you're playing with fire. It works if the shrimp are big enough to not get eaten but small enough that they don't nip the Betta's fins. For how long, who knows? I suggest you keep the betta by himself in the bowl. Don't forget, you said you are going to "RESCUE" the Betta so you may need to medicate the fish which might effect the shrimp.

I'd try it out. All of my bettas have been good with shrimp and snails. It's always worth a try, especially with bettas:D. Good luck!
thanks! that's what i'd hope would happen lol

I'd give it a shot! Depends on your shrimp though, larger shrimp would probably be fine but smaller would definitely be thee bettas new fave food.
i'm looking at RCS. my hope is that they'll breed fast enough to keep a few babies alive, and if i keep the betta well fed... it "might" work.

What kind of shrimp ?? Are you going to have a filter in the bowl and/or heater?? If you don't make sure to change out water everyday!!! How many gallons is bowl? I have one .5 getting another but growing plants ( so that's why I asked size). I'd try it out though!!!
lol, calm down ;) RCS, if i did the bowl it would be just heater, maybe a sponge filter. it's about a .5 gallon bowl, and i don't really want to put a betta in one, it would just be my other option if things didn't work out.

I think you're playing with fire. It works if the shrimp are big enough to not get eaten but small enough that they don't nip the Betta's fins. For how long, who knows? I suggest you keep the betta by himself in the bowl. Don't forget, you said you are going to "RESCUE" the Betta so you may need to medicate the fish which might effect the shrimp.
very true statements, that basically hits all my concerns... i'm thinking at this point that i might just go for it. if i do, i'll be sure to go for the most docile looking one i can find, and just give it a shot. if it does get sick, i guess i'll move it to the bowl for treatement, since if i have my facts straight a lot of diseases can't be transfered from fish to invert... but i do agree, it's a very hit and miss sort of thing, and i only get one shot.

ok, wow! thanks for all the responses guys! i'm still not totally solid in my decision yet, so all other input is greatly appreciated, but i think i at least got the questions out of my head. also, if it helps any, the ten gallon has 6 glo-lite tetras in it. every betta i've ever had has been exceptionally good with other fish, so that isn't too much of a concern *touches wood.* i was thinking it might even help, and act as sort of a dither school to keep the betta's mind off the shrimp... any input on wether that has hope of working or not?
:thanks:

Bettas with shrimp are pretty hit-or-miss. Hopefully it works out. I actually think I know of more stories where it didn't work than of where it did work though. But, YMMV. Good luck. :)

I have two maybe three glass shrimp in my planted 8g with my male crowntail Betta. Idk if he's not interested in them or they are too quick and hide in the java moss (that's EVERYWHERE) but they have been there 3 or so months so far.

Ha ha I had glass shrimp they were dope untill my cichlids eggs hatched and she killed them and my Cory's and my algae eaters Bettas are curious so he might seem into them but he just wants to check em out. My Betta is a beast he won't make a bubble nest and he is big

Back
Top Bottom