Need some really fast advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toothpik

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey do any of you think a canister filter will still be useful if i have a sump with a protein skimmer and live rock for bio filter?

lol thanks but would it be good for taking out harmful things out of the water? just to make the water even better?

It could be used in two ways, either completely sealed with chemical media or set inside/above sump, tee off a line to it and allow it to gravity feed back down. Depends on what you want it for, but otherwise it is not necessarily needed.

edit: I would not use any of the biomedia or filter floss that comes with it.

Yes, but as I stated, I'd only use it for chemical media if you intend upon a reef tank. Different applications are possible :)

well i only have one 8lb live rock so i would say the filtration might be needed bc i heard you need quite a bit of LR to get rid of the filter

Live rock will be the bulk of your biological filtration so do purchase more. The skimmer will be your mechanical filtration, and carbon or purigen or whatever will be your chemical filtration.

Buy 75% base rock and only 25% LR. The base will become live over the course of a month (hosting bacteria) and be indistinguishable from the LR in 6 months to a year.

You want 1½ - 2 pounds of LR per gallon of tank capacity.

Back
Top Bottom