Neon or cardinal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is one more hardy than the other? Also my Ph is 7.5, temp 25, tanks mates are sterbai cory's at the moment and eventually a dwarf gourami?? (I recently rehoused my platties as they would not let my cory's eat!!) It's about 16G and only been running for 2 months (has been cycled) Any and all thoughts appreciated, not sure which is best choice for my tank?? I know I would need at least 6 as I want them to be happy and active...not hiding in plants all day! Thanks

They're pretty similar. Cardinals are a bit larger and they tend to be more colorful than neons and some say that they are more "hardy" than neons, but those are the only differences I've heard people mention.

They're pretty similar. Cardinals are a bit larger and they tend to be more colorful than neons and some say that they are more "hardy" than neons, but those are the only differences I've heard people mention.

Thank u, have been down to pet shop for a look....love rummynose and head/tail light tetra too!! Decisions decisions .....have read both would be peaceful and rgood for beginners, any ideas which might be the most fun/interesting to watch ie. Not likely to hide in plants etc. ??

I actually have a school of about 20 of both in my tank and you can actually tell them apart..

not sure about the rummynose or head/tail lights but any of them should get along just fine. It really comes down to your personal preferences.

I actually have a school of about 20 of both in my tank and you can actually tell them apart..

not sure about the rummynose or head/tail lights but any of them should get along just fine. It really comes down to your personal preferences.

Wow, I bet a big group like that looks beautiful!! Any advice regarding how many I should get? My tank is only 16G and has some little cory's at the moment.....I know I need at least 6 but I know they would probably be happier with more, max number anyone?? Thanks again for responses, most helpful!!

So you have Sterbai corys? How many? They're one of the larger types of corys. I have some at the moment...I originally had them in a 20 gal before I upgraded to a 40 and thought that they looked too big for a 20 gal. You could probably do 8 cardinals or neons in addition to the Corys.

So you have Sterbai corys? How many? They're one of the larger types of corys. I have some at the moment...I originally had them in a 20 gal before I upgraded to a 40 and thought that they looked too big for a 20 gal. You could probably do 8 cardinals or neons in addition to the Corys.

Hi, yes, only 2 at the moment (I know they r schooling fish but didn't want to stress my newly cycled tank by adding too much at once) plan to add 2 panda's this weekend...herd they will be happy to school together. Have fallen a bit in love with rummynose tetra, think I will have a school of 6/7 and consider myself stocked all being well?! Do u think that's too much for my 16G ? Am v diligent re water changes etc. 40% every week and will definitely not have a dwarf gourami now as originally planned.....the rummynose look bigger than the cardinals. Thanks for input. :)

Actually cardinals and rummynose mature to about the same size. I have a school of 25 cardinals and 25 rummy's and the rummy's are the more active of the two. Remember that almost all rummynose are wild caught and you need to acclimate them very slowly. Also never buy rummy's that have just come in on a shipment. Give them a few days to be sure they don't crash before buying any.

Actually cardinals and rummynose mature to about the same size. I have a school of 25 cardinals and 25 rummy's and the rummy's are the more active of the two. Remember that almost all rummynose are wild caught and you need to acclimate them very slowly. Also never buy rummy's that have just come in on a shipment. Give them a few days to be sure they don't crash before buying any.

Thanks, great tip...will check how long they have been in! Excited!

Cardinals are better in everyway if I had the heart to trade my neons for cardinals I would.

Cardinals are better in everyway if I had the heart to trade my neons for cardinals I would.

Yip, I think I like the look of the cardinals best...but have no experience of keeping either yet! So not much clue about activity level or shyness....to be continued hopefully!

Yip, I think I like the look of the cardinals best...but have no experience of keeping either yet! So not much clue about activity level or shyness....to be continued hopefully!

Their reeaalllly easy just keep a ph of 6-7ish you can put them with discus they prefer water temp around 80 obviously 0 ammonia and nitrite

Other than that very easy. I have rebuilt my tank like 3 times with them still in the tank, even had a co2 explosion and their good to go. Only death was because of ich.

Thank u! Looking forward to having a small school in the near future....my 4 year old calls them spider man fish due to the blue and red colouring...he is very keen on them too!

Thank u! Looking forward to having a small school in the near future....my 4 year old calls them spider man fish due to the blue and red colouring...he is very keen on them too!

Okay just make sure to do cycle properly, look at getting 6 rummy nose tetras as well, their really cool and keep in tight schools.

Okay just make sure to do cycle properly, look at getting 6 rummy nose tetras as well, their really cool and keep in tight schools.

I'm all cycled, have a couple of cory's (will get than a couple more friends) I actually did just get 6 rummy nose today!!!! They lost their colour for a while but noses are red again after slow acclimatisation thankfully.....cardinals would look great with these guys... Do u think adding a school of 6 cardinals will be too much for my 16G?? Thanks

Uhm not too good at guessing what the tank looks like by gallons, if you uploaded a picture maybe I could tell ya.

It's really going to depend on how good your filter is and if it looks over crowded.

If I remember correctly it was something like 1 fish per gallon but it really depends on the fish but i think you would be fine with 12 tetras as long as it doesn't look crowded.

Uhm not too good at guessing what the tank looks like by gallons, if you uploaded a picture maybe I could tell ya.

It's really going to depend on how good your filter is and if it looks over crowded.

If I remember correctly it was something like 1 fish per gallon but it really depends on the fish but i think you would be fine with 12 tetras as long as it doesn't look crowded.

No problem, thanks. Will just take it slowly and see how my rummynoses get on...all still alive and noses red this morning!! Yay :)

Cool, just keep an eye to make sure ammonia doesn't come back, that will mean your over stocked.

Back
Top Bottom