Neon Tetra Disease-aftermath?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have posted about the individual fish in the sick fish thread. I'm wondering now about the tank as a whole as I believe it may have NTD.

What do you do once it's in? It seems I could maybe put the plants and the filter media in a side tank and treat my main tank with TONS of medicine, or let Darwin take its course. From what I read quarantine/euthanasia of one obviously ill fish is unhelpful, as the spores are in the tank.

More thoughts I wouldn't mind an opinion on ...

I'm not totally convinced it's NTD, as there have been no new fish or plants in this tank for 3 months and it's the "old" fish that is (or perhaps are) affected.

But I also read that some fish may fight off NTD so I'm wondering if maybe it's been there for a loooooooong time (like a year) and I had really healthy fish?

About a year ago one Glowlight tetra had trouble swimming and had lost some pieces of fins, and seemed to have a bent spine. "Gimpy" recovered partly and lasted several more months but then I found him in the filter intake tube.

I moved and rebuilt the tank in March, went up from a 29 to a 56 and added just 5 more glowlights, so it's under stocked, heavily planted, with textbook good water parameters and water keeping habits.

It's been a healthy tank. I'm even 10/10 on keeping Otos alive (even Petsmart Otos).

Recently I noticed a harlequin rasbora swimming oddly, circling at the top of the tank a lot. It still ate and was appropriately colored. Then 20 minutes after a water change I found it floating at the top and removed it. Nobody had tried to eat it, I'm sure I found it within 10 minutes of it dying. It didn't have a white body but did seem to have a bent spine.

I have one other harlequin and one Glowlight tetra who have bent spines. They've been like that for like 9 months if not longer. I've brought GH up from 3 toward 5, for more mineral content, in case that's it.

Now this one has white tissue under its skin. If you want to help troubleshoot the illness I've posted in sick fish.

But mostly it's what to do with the whole tank. I'm still leaning toward removing the one fish if I can catch it without tearing apart the tank, and providing optimal conditions ... And if others get sick then let it run its course, inflicting as little stress as possible (including osmotic stress from piling on the meds).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom